• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

If ur planning a Minnesota River trip

Reaction score
If your planning a trip down the Minnesota River, check with the MN DNR first or with the locals around Franklin regarding a log jam that, according to the DNR is impassable at this time.

Here is the statement from the MN DNR;
There is currently a large log jam blocking the river South of Franklin at Brown County Road 8. There are no portage options for this blockage. Access options are at Mack Lake County Park and the Franklin city access. (2017-03-20)

Meo,
Have you ever been on a MN river trip?
I have thought about doing one but don't know much about river travels.
All flat water tripping for me so far.

Rivers are a bit different than lakes. A lot more adventurous, even just a day trip. You have deep spots, shallow spots, sand bars, boulders & rocks, and fallen trees. There can be a few dangers to keep in mind. You can hit a rock or stump and since the water is 'pushing' the canoe into it, the canoe can tip easy. Main thing is to Pay Attention. Learn how to read the river. Most of what I learned about the Minnesota was by paddling up river a ways (when it was moving slow) and then float down. This way I know where the boulders and stumps are. Many times they can be hidden just below the water.

Stay away from trees lying in the water. If you tip and are carried into the branches you can be 'sucked' under them.

Rivers are awesome, but study their behaviors.

Meo,
Have you ever been on a MN river trip?
I have thought about doing one but don't know much about river travels.
All flat water tripping for me so far.

Be careful with those rivers. Once you start paddling them it's hard to go back to lakes.

I'm not a big white water guy but I find just about any river more enjoyable than just about any lake. It's usually a much more intimate setting with shoreline close on both sides and there's always a little mystery as to what's around the next corner as opposed to a lake where you can see for miles. And the moving water, even if there are no rapids, adds another dimension that keeps your brain engaged a little more.

Minnesota has a lot of great rivers and many of them are designated water trails; which basically means you can find out lots of info on-line from the DNR and can expect to find decent access and often times paddle in campsites along the way. The Big Fork River in northern Minnesota is a neat river and this month would probably be a great time to paddle it since, at least around here, the rivers are not swollen with run off. I paddled the length of it one April during a warm and dry spring. Didn't see any bugs or people but had beautiful weather with tons of migrating waterfowl. Must have seen at least 200 swans on the river.

Lots of other close by rivers for day paddles. The Cannon river is nice and this spring I hope to get up to Mankato to do the Blue Earth River a few times before the crowds pick up. Would be happy to meet up for a paddle if anyone is interested.

Here's a map of Minnesota water trails. Click any of the rivers for more info.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/watertrails/location_map.html

Alan

Now I can't quit looking at rivers. The Kettle looks fun. Anyone interested in doing a day, or maybe weekend, trip this spring?

Alan

Many times i am alone and end-up paddling upstream, then floating down. Because, no one to drop me off at the beginning. Anyone else do this?

Many times i am alone and end-up paddling upstream, then floating down. Because, no one to drop me off at the beginning. Anyone else do this?

Oh yeah. I kind of like paddling upstream. The relaxing paddle back is a nice reward.

Alan

Now I can't quit looking at rivers. The Kettle looks fun. Anyone interested in doing a day, or maybe weekend, trip this spring?

Alan

So isn't the Kettle through Banning state park recommended for experienced whitewater paddlers who don't value their lives? I think the DNR map is lacking that detail.

So isn't the Kettle through Banning state park recommended for experienced whitewater paddlers who don't value their lives? I think the DNR map is lacking that detail.

I don't see anywhere they mention suicidal tendencies are a prerequisite but the inset of Banning State Park on the official map does show a steady run of CII-CIV rapids with a couple portages around them, one of which is 1.5 miles long.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/canoe_routes/kettle_snake.pdf

Alan

I don't see anywhere they mention suicidal tendencies are a prerequisite but the inset of Banning State Park on the official map does show a steady run of CII-CIV rapids with a couple portages around them, one of which is 1.5 miles long.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/canoe_routes/kettle_snake.pdf

Alan

It gets pretty wild in the spring but the upper river gets pretty low in the summer. I'd consider joining you but it's looking like the rare year where the ice may be out in April in the BWCA so I'm planning an early trip.

Back