• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

ID this layup!

Reaction score
I'm looking at a used Wenonah online, HIN MFP EC492J889. So it’s a 1989 boat, manufactured Oct of '88. Seller lists length at 16.6ft, it’s white on the outside and tan/beige on the inside with what look like foam ribs in the hull. Wood gunnels/deck plates. Based on length, it may be the Echo aka Sundowner (though it seems to have an extra thwart as the 17ft Sundowner would, but who knows, that may have been added after market).

The real question for whether it's worth my time in dealing with the rotted woodwork is, what's the layup (and thereby weight)? Seller doesn't seem to know.

Thanks in advance!

300225584_5711664222197895_6501822873450215786_n.jpg

IANAWE, but that looks like tuffweave to me. It has the cross rib stiffening which usually goes with tuffweave or glass. The kevlar boats usually have a diamond shaped foam core, sometimes with side ribs, or less often a center rail. Still a nice boat for someone with a strong back!

Good to know, thanks. I'll probably pass on it - the price is low but I really don't need another project, and I already have a couple royalex boats that fall in the tough but heavy category.

I have to keep reminding myself not to acquire any more boats that violate the rule of 100 (weight of boat plus your age less than).

IASNAWE, but this time I looked in the wenonah file. There is mention of a kevlar Echo with cross rib construction in an old catalog (not sure of the date -- early 90's? Possibly from Mike). With that beige interior it sure doesn't look like kevlar, but without the weight it's hard to be sure. My guess would still be tuffweave and mid sixties.

image_16958.jpg
image_16960.jpg
HANSSOLO-130313-154522.JPG

Back