• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

i cant wait for driverless cars!!

Reaction score
Just think. Stop at a landing at a river. Put the canoe in and paddle for miles downstream. When you get to your take-out point, your car is waiting for you. Driverless technology. Dropping one car off at a take-out point and driving another car to the put-in point, a thing off the past.

I would get to the take-out, wonder where the car was, and eventually realize I still had the keys with me.

I would get to the take-out, wonder where the car was, and eventually realize I still had the keys with me.

It's ok, you could call the car on your iphone 11 and it would find you and unlock itself. Mind you, might want to check its exhaust to see if it was out drinking with the hot little autonomous sports car from down the road.

I like these off topic conversations, fwiw, the responses from like minded folks make for a lot of fun. Thanks;)

We both prefer standards. Maybe my wife was a trucker in her past life. I don't even want to think about that.
I'm not too concerned about driverless cars, but so help me God if some vaping hipster car designer comes up with the brainstorming idea of a driverless backseat driver as a "standard feature" I swear I'm gonna lose it.

Not until that driverless car can read the Maine Gazetter in its seat pocket
And passes a navigation class. God knows they are stupid. Mine wants me to turn and drive across the lake. That works in winter only.
And cell phone signal. !!! LOL

There are some legal issues and ethical issues which will be interesting when fully autonomous or self-driving cars become more common.

Legal: If a self-driving car is at fault for causing an accident who is responsible? The vehicle owner? The Manufacturer? The company that produced the software?

Ethical: The classic conundrum often presented is an autonomous vehicle can either run over a woman pushing a stroller across the road, or veer off a cliff and kill the occupants.

I can not imagine being comfortable in any seat in a self driving car, or even being inattentive while behind the wheel on autopilot.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/07/01/business/inside-tesla-accident.html

I tend to think that those anxiously waiting for driverless technology shouldn't be driving NOW! ( not that that applies to you Meopilite...)

And yes, put me firmly in the Luddite category: standard Transmission in all cars and cedar/canvas canoes. Taught all 3 kids to drive standard, too. Taught them on my wife's car however, not mine...

Bruce

Walter Kirn has a theory from Harper's April Easy Chair that the reason behind Google's big hot button push for self-driving cars is that driving is currently about the "last significant part of our waking lives in which it's inconvenient to use the internet." Once we get our cars driving for us, we can be connected ALL THE TIME.

And while I'm certainly far from the position of the Luddite's and embrace many of the benefits of 21st century 1st world living I also think Mr. Orwell and Mr. Ellul and Mr. McCluhan and their various scowling offspring (of my favorites is probably NYU's late great professor of cultural theory Neil Postman, who is highly readable even by those--like myself!--who find academic theory full of gas and dry like the desert sand and whose words I am finding grow more and more relevant with every passing month [one might even begin a reading of Dr. Postman with a wonderful little piece of criticism called Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture to Technology]) have much to say, much to say when it comes to the sneaky agenda that every technology introduces.

I wouldn't trust something that cannot "see" situations that can change quickly. I personally hate ABS brakes, many times it has allowed me to slide through an intersection I could have stopped at had I had control of the vehicle.
They follow the lines eh, well, what happens when snow covers the lines? Drunk driver in the drivers seat but not actually driving, unless of course they must take control for some reason... Breathalyzer before the car will go?

Driverless tech may be OK for Interstate highways or TransCan highways. But what good will it do when I am at 50.596084, -90.186248 trying to find a way to get into Tew Lake?

I'd rather have a decent public transit system with high speed rail between urban centres and a rural rail network with a good baggage car. Safer, more environmentally friendly and no worries about who is driving, though I expect they will get rid of train drivers as well at some point.

GPS is only as good as the digitizing that goes on in the first place unfortunately; pay peanuts or rely to heavily on automatic route detection on aerial images and you are bound to get errors.

Not having a GPS I have at times tried printing out MapQuest or etc driving directions. The result has at times been, eh, frustrating.

I drove to Connecticut to pick up a used canoe. The MapQuest directions were two full pages; two Inter-States followed by a couple dozen blue highways with a couple dozen turns, through small towns, weird “bear left” 6-way intersections and confusing “Go 0.1 mile, turn right, go 0.2 miles turn left”.

When I finally got unlost, found the seller’s home and picked up the canoe I asked if there was some easy way to get back to the Inter-State.

“Sure, just go up the road there about a mile and you’ll come to the on ramp”. I guess the way MapQuest sent me, with 24 turns, was “shorter”.

Same thing locally. Again, I was going to pick up a boat an hour away. MapQuest sent me on a route that included a dirt road a few miles from my home I had surprisingly never before been on. Six turns and 20 minutes later I was on a familiar piece of blacktop that I knew well, which is two highway exits north and 20 minutes from my home. I guess that was the scenic route.

I did eventually learn to scope out a MapQuest recommended route on an actual paper map before even thinking about following those directions. I never did find a “fewest turns” option to select.

The same thing happened to a friend who was visiting. I had e-mailed him directions to my home, which involves but two roads off the highway, and 3 turns if you count coming down my dirt drive. He opted to follow his GPS, which sent him along a very scenic backroute, including a country road that is not actually two car widths wide in parts.

Back