• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

how do i use the roller wheels device to move my canoe around?

G

okay fellers, so i bought a used canoe, and it came with the device that you can set your canoe on to roll it around. There's one long strap, which would seem to go around the canoe, but it slips right off the end, b/c the end of the canoe is pointed. The canoe doesn't have a runner down the middle, it's just flat, so the wheels spin around whichever direction they feel like rolling. I don't getit. Is there a youtube how to for this thing?:confused:

It seems like you should have 2 straps, one on each side of the cart so you can cinch the canoe tight over the top. Those canoe carts look pretty simple to operate, place the canoe on top, tighten up the strap, roll away.

Here's a you tube vid that might help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95SaUIYTk1Y

The positioning of the boat on a portage cart use depends largely on whether you have a cart intended for end hauling or center hauling of the hull.

A photo or the make/model of cart would help.

yeah, youtube, i saw one video there, but it was just a glimpse of one. I should have searched canoe dolly, thanks.
I'll post some pics though, as I'm still not sure how to use this thing.

Well, the good news is that you're home and can try several setups. First off, the cart needs to stay on the canoe. If it slips off the end, then you'll need to involve a thwart. Can you lash or tie each end of the cart to the thwart on that side?
Most of the time when the manufacture says that the cart will fit all these different boats, what that really means is that you are going to need to develop your own system to get it to work on your canoe. Depending on what you have to attach to on the cart, I find that a good lashing will secure just about anything. If you like the idea of belts, then look at what you have and where belts would work, you're not limited to one, most hardware stores sell nylon belts and buckles, so you can rig it anyway you like.
The cart needs to hold on but your not going down the freeway with it so what the heck, pull it around and see if it starts slipping. If you were to pick any ten folks here and ask them to attach the canoe to the cart, you'd see ten different way of doing it but I'd bet that all ten was would work. Have fun figuring out what will work for you.

Best Wishes,

Rob

I think i need to set it in the middle of the canoe instead of at the end. I'm going camping this weekend, so i'll find out one way or the other!

Don't know where you're located but hereabouts it's looking a lot like winter. It's always a good idea to test out any suspect gear at home, any fix will be so much easier. That goes double in the winter!
Good luck on your outing.

Rob

Back