• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Hot Tent Camping In A Blizzard | ASMR

I wondered about the ASMR heading in this video, so looked it up. Found the following:

“If you follow social media, you may have noticed a few of the more than 13 million ASMR videos online. Many of the videos create ASMR-inducing sounds to play out social situations with actions that may trigger a response. The videos have rapidly gained popularity, but they may still leave you wondering: What is ASMR exactly? How does it work? And, does it help as some people suggest?
What is ASMR?

ASMR stands for autonomous sensory meridian response; a term used to describe a tingling, static-like, or goosebumps sensation in response to specific triggering audio or visual stimuli. These sensations are said to spread across the skull or down the back of the neck and, for some, down the spine or limbs. When experiencing ASMR sensations, some people report pleasant feelings of relaxation, calm, sleepiness or well-being.”

I had no idea. But when I was watching this self-proclaimed ASMR video, Kathleen did ask me “What is that weird sound?” Apparently she wasn’t in the proper mood to experience pleasant feelings of relaxation.

I wondered about the ASMR heading in this video, so looked it up.

I wondered what that meant too but I apparently don't have your drive for knowledge and hadn't looked it up. I haven't watched the original video but now you've got me curious enough to check it out.

Alan

Good Googly Moogly, ASMR, what a load of rubbish! I'm glad you took the time to look it up Mr. Pitt, in the future I will avoid any video pretentious enough to use that in its title.

I'm not really as misanthropic as I sound, I think I've just had enough of the whole outdoor tiktok/youtube crowd. Seems like people don't go on any adventures now unless they can turn it into "Look at me".

Canoe trips used to be about living in the present. The trappings of life fell away after the second or third day, and the only concerns were wind, water, food and shelter. It seems now that canoe trips are about the future, and how to show one's prowess to a legion of fanboys, er, I mean fan people.

Anyway, I guess I'm just right some disgusted with humanity in general at the moment, I need to get out into the bush.

We'll have to forgive Mem his foul mood (again, lol). The porticullis hasn't yawned open yet to let the inmates out for the holidays.
He's no doubt getting antsy.
I've spent my whole life turning off and tuning into ASMR. I'm sure we all have, particularly on outdoor trips. It's called Shutting The Front Door and listerning to nature. At home I sleep with the bedroom window open to feel and hear the wind and rain and snow and owls and ... On trips there's nothing like lying in and dozing off to the sound of rain on fly. Who's turn was it to get up and get the coffee started?
I think this YT guy is just tagging his vid thusly for more hits etc. I found this vlog more interesting than I was expecting. I did watch it at 2x speed which helped. Lots of gadgets to ponder. A convertible FG hatchet? Ceramic coffee bean roaster? CO detector? A 4 season poly free-standing tent with reflective interior? Having zero experience, maybe I'm wrongly suited to providing an opinion, but I will anyway. This vid shows me all the fiddly stuff I'd rather leave on the store shelf (excepting the CO detector).
On the whole it was strangely quite enjoyable. I've never been a winter camper, nor will I ever be. But this has kinda been like one of those après wedding parties where everyone gets up and dances like nobdy's watching. I might be able to get into that, and although I'll have far fewer fun anecdotes in the morning, I might instead just kick back and watch from a safe distance. For the rest of you braver souls, have fun out there, and maybe trying some newer techno gimmicks, even if it's merely for the likes and shares (lol).

ps Hey Mem, cheer up, only 4 more sleeps till you can turn off the lights and make your Christmas break for it.

Last edited:
I've spent my whole life turning off and tuning into ASMR. I'm sure we all have, particularly on outdoor trips. It's called Shutting The Front Door and listerning to nature. At home I sleep with the bedroom window open to feel and hear the wind and rain and snow and owls and ... On trips there's nothing like lying in and dozing off to the sound of rain on fly.

This summer, in lieu of canoe tripping, which now seems in our past, Kathleen and I joined our daughter on a nine-day cruise from Barcelona to Rome. We stayed in Rome for three days at the end of the cruise, in a second floor room with windows on both sides of the corner. Where we live near Preeceville, on 565 acres, our lives and surroundings are very quiet. No distracting sounds. Great, you might say. But not necessarily. In Rome, we slept with both windows wide open so that we could hear, and in some way, share the vibrant street life passing below. It didn’t put us to sleep, and I didn’t experience ASMR, but I still miss that dynamic. On our first night home, I woke in the middle of the night, and stood still, somewhat perplexed. “Dang, it’s quiet and dark here.”

I could spend a lot more of my remaining life enjoying the cultural amenities of cities like Rome.

Last edited:
This summer, in lieu of canoe tripping, which now seems in our past, Kathleen and I joined our daughter on a nine-day cruise from Barcelona to Rome. We stayed in Rome for three days at the end of the cruise, in a second floor room with windows on both sides of the corner. Where we live near Preeceville, on 565 acres, our lives and surroundings are very quiet. No distracting sounds. Great, you might say. But not necessarily. In Rome, we slept with both windows wide open so that we could hear, and in some way, share the vibrant street life passing below. It didn’t put us to sleep, and I didn’t experience ASMR, but I still miss that dynamic. On our first night home, I woke in the middle of the night, and stood still, somewhat perplexed. “Dang, it’s quiet and dark here.”

I could spend a lot more of my remaining life enjoying the cultural amenities of cities like Rome.
Despite originally being a "country boy" I've grown to love some aspects of city life. Living in a small city as we do the countryside is never very far from our door. I'm happy with one foot in each, farming rural and city urban. But it depends...
Likewise Pitt, this summer we spent a week in the bigger city of Paris, "base camping" in a grubby little apartment on the other side of Montmartre where tourists seldom venture. It was an escape to rub shoulders with the locals and try to match the slow pace of life there.
Upon arriving into the the neighbourhood after the metro spat us out onto the granite cobbles we found we had time to kill before our airb&b would be available, so we shouldered our packs (travelling light with carry-on only) and google mapped our way to a nearby parc. No tourist mobs, but we did have to share Square Léon Serpollet with hordes of exuberant kids chasing, running, laughing, while mamans and others relaxed on shady benches. We chose our own in the late May sunshine just across from a flower border bursting with blooms and buzzing bees. The smell was intoxicating and the sounds were zzz. The droning insects, gurgling fountains, and tinkling laughter worked their charms. An hour later I awoke stretched out on my own bench to find we still had some time to kill, so why not lunch? Et voila, there ya go.
In a matter of minutes we replaced drousy flower border sounds with streetside lunchtime maneuvers. Whispered converstions with the cacophony of cars and scooters, which filled the streets from early morn to late at night. A week later we changed cities, sounds, and pace yet again.
Dijon and the Canal de Bourgogne revealed a whole new world of ASMR to us. lol. We lived well on our budget and slept even better.

I too had wondered about the ASMR tag but, like Alan, not enough to research it. Thanks PP for your diligence and curiosity.

Perhaps it's overly paranoid of me but I'll avoid ASMR videos in the future. Sounds too much like subliminal messaging to me; I'm awfully short of tinfoil for hats and have NO idea how to make tinfoil earplugs.

Don't forget your GoPro
Lol, Alan, I actually own one. I could easily be a member of the waxed beard crowd, I've been teaching video production and editing for over 25 years. In fact, I've just come up with a new video idea for my next canoe trip. I'm only going to film potential places to take a dump. I'll rate them for scenery, bug counts, and ease of burial of the aromatic product.

Sample narration (In my best BBC voice)......It's been a long day, 50 kilometres of paddling, 3 bad portages, and now this bughole campsite. Fortunately, the vicissitudes of the day have been ameliorated by this prime defecation location, a mere 50 yards from my tent, windblown to keep the bugs off my tender bits, and with a stupendous view of the lake. I might just stay on this log all night!

Imagine the ASMR experience that could be associated with that!

To show how little I know, I thought ASMR is the initials for some wilderness area I wasn't familiar with. Now that I know what it is, I may just pass. Don't need any extra tingling in places it should be experienced (LOL).

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

You're missing out on all the fun if you shy away from ASMR. A few years ago when exploring this strange YT fad I found sites where you could watch someone performing ordinary tasks, like folding and cutting paper, washing vegetables, etc etc. All silently done except for the up close sounds of texture. So imagine the ordinary campsite sounds of setting up camp. Putting up tent or hammock. Prepping firewood. Tending to the fire. Wind in the trees. Making a meal. You get the idea. There are already YT canoe trippers who've filmed excellent episodes, entirely or in segments, without dialogue and music. No subliminal messages. No dark web machinations. No conspiracy tomfoolery.
(Although once a month I do have the urge to go out on a nearby hilltop and lay out a string of landing lights for the mothership. Which has never come. Yet. )
Anyway, I also stumbled into an ASMR vlog once in which you see a sorceresses' chamber where she goes about concocting her magical potions, stirring, bubbling, scratching down notes, the crackling fire, a purring black cat blah blah blah. Boring.
But the strange sh*t people get into these days.
Excuse me while I go out to check on my outdoor lights.

I'm thinking about making an ASMR video of me quietly reading in my living room with a crackling fire in the background, tea boiling in the kettle, the cat scratching at the door to go outside (and then scratching to come back inside 2 minutes later), the dog licking herself, the thwack of a paperback against the wall when it was hurled at the cat for wanting to go outside for the 15th time, me passing gas, the dog's nails clicking back and forth as she paces the living room, and the cat yowling in the basement to express his displeasure. The type of quiet and relaxing evening everyone wishes for.

1 million views here I come!

Alan

You're missing out on all the fun if you shy away from ASMR. A few years ago when exploring this strange YT fad I found sites where you could watch someone performing ordinary tasks, like folding and cutting paper, washing vegetables, etc etc. All silently done except for the up close sounds of texture. So imagine the ordinary campsite sounds of setting up camp. Putting up tent or hammock. Prepping firewood. Tending to the fire. Wind in the trees. Making a meal. You get the idea. There are already YT canoe trippers who've filmed excellent episodes, entirely or in segments, without dialogue and music. No subliminal messages. No dark web machinations. No conspiracy tomfoolery.

I think this definitely has merit and doesn't sound nearly as weird. I suppose that's what the guy in the video was going for.

I recently came across an audio file from about 10 years ago from when I was trying out a new microphone. I'd set it up on the counter and recorded most of my lunch break. This was in my old house and it was fun to listen to myself let the dog out, crack the eggs into the hot skillet, put toast in the toaster, get out dishes, hear the cats meow, and hear myself walk back and forth across the floor. Back then it was a familiar routine and I could see it all in my head again when listening to the audio file.

Alan

A number of YT channels I frequent are audio only. Books, stories etc. Some of these narrations include some gentle sound effects. Overdone it can be distracting, but when subtly introduced they can really add textures and context to the story.
It may only be a matter of time before some bright spark gets the idea to start a YT audio book channel focusing on canoe stories and TRs.
Most of us have volumes of these in our humble home libraries. The simple SFX added to an armchair reading might be crunching twigs underfoot, a crackling fire, sawing and tap splitting wood, wind in the pine boughs overhead, splashing gurgling water, banging of paddle shafts on gunnels (lol, just kidding). These SFX could start in your home, fade into the story, and then ease back into your home again.
Give er a go Alan. Run with it, before someone else does. I'd be your first subscriber. Might even buy you a coffee, and some merch.

I selected the OP video generally because I wanted to learn more about hot tenting and specifically because it was ASMR—i.e., it has no talking or narration but only the natural sounds of the activity being engaged in. You don't have to watch ASMR videos; you can just listen to them. I happen to watch/listen to many ASMR videos on YouTube, including nature sounds, haircuts, shoeshines, and other things that I enjoy in person.

For those who criticized the maker of the OP video for not engaging in his overnight tent trip "for fun", or because he didn't use snow shoes or a sled, or have a tall enough tent or big enough stove, I have now watched a number of his videos and he seems to be quite an experienced snow trekker, camper and mountain climber.

He was motivated to begin his channel thusly: "Hike Camp Climb is a byproduct of my journey to find physical and mental healing after a hard-won battle with substance abuse. I turned to mountain climbing as a way of challenging myself and getting healthy again." His YouTube channel has informative videos of himself and son hiking the Pacific Crest trail, scaling Mt. Helens and Mt. Rainier in snow, and trying out all snow tents of all sizes and shapes, including digging a snow shelter. And, yes, he uses snow shoes and pulls a pulk. I like the fact that many of his videos are filmed as ASMR with optional subtitles.

Here is an ASMR video where he digs and snow blocks a stove shelter in 7'-9" snow, which would be way beyond my expertise even if I had any. In one of his videos he comments that he never relies on his stove for sufficient warmth, especially in a snow shelter, but rather always relies on his clothing. In other videos, he brings a much bigger stove than his Pomoly titanium. I highly recommend turning on subtitles for his ASMR videos because they are very educational as to what he is doing and why.

There is something about being a in a big canvas tipi with a liner and good fire that makes it perfect in a blizzard. I have done it many times. A big wall tent with a wood stove is a close second. the open fire in a tipi draws fine when set up correctly. Then the flames reflect off the walls and provide soft light. You can sometimes catch the moon rise in the smoke hole. Magic.

Back