• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Hornbeck New Trick Black Jack 12

Reaction score
Picked up a Black Jack New Trick 12 footer last week and for me, it's a game changer.

First of all let me state I don't know canoes like a lot of people here know canoes. I've had a classic shaped Hornbeck Black Jack since they came out and have loved the mobility it allows me. Paddling on ponds, miles back in the woods gave me new perspective into the wilds that I have been traveling around on land all my life. As my experience with that canoe grew, there were times, mostly on bigger water that I wanted something that moved over the water with less effort and might carry a little more gear for the long sojourns that I live for. As such I think I have found it with this new boat.

We went camping on Forked Lake over the 4th so I got to take it out on a little bigger water to see how it performed and I can't say enough good about it. It moves effortlessly through the water and turning it is so much fun. My friends camping with me who have had classic Hornbeck 10" for much longer than I have, were also taken with it as well. My GF even was nice enough to put the first scratch on the bottom so I won't feel bad as I add more.

For the weight weenies, I stuck in on a cheap scale and it weighed 14 lbs. with foot pegs. Since I also sprung for a new Werner Kalliste paddle that is at least a pound less than my old wooden Grey Owl Paddle, the total weight over my last setup is only a pound more for much more boat. I haven't carried it on any long hikes yet, but it rides well on my pack with just a line from my pack to the stern.

Imagine, in love again at my age...

Attachments

• P7022074.jpg
    P7022074.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1
  • P7022075.jpg
    P7022075.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1
  • P7022072.jpg
    P7022072.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 993910_10151452495996626_1012645061_n.jpg
    993910_10151452495996626_1012645061_n.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 1000470_10151452489456626_346303205_n.jpg
    1000470_10151452489456626_346303205_n.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1
That's a great looking little craft! I imagine it would require learning all over again how not to fall out. The seat looks really comfortable, do you have an option to kneel with it? I just feel so much more stable with my knees firmly in the curve of the bottom/side.

However valid or misplaced love might be at any age, at least it shows we're still kicking and part of the throb of life.

Congratulations!
Rob

Very nice boat, Keith. If I wanted a pack canoe, that might be the one I'd look at most.

What does it weigh, and what's the difference between the "New Trick" 12 footer and the original 12' Blackjack?

Om - It's strictly a sit on bottom, double paddle boat. While it is a bit "tippier" then the original design, it still has good secondary stability.

GM - On the crappy scale I have it weighed 14 lbs with the foot pegs installed. I'm told the wood trim version adds about 4 lb. The New Trick doesn't have the cheeks the original version has and it is consiterably narrower with some slight rocker. Here http://hornbeckboats.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/old-dog-new-tricks/ is a blurb on the differences. Oh, it weighs about 2 lbs more then the 10 foot classic Black Jack.

Last edited:
I had the chance to paddle one last fall and was impressed with the changes made over the "old" style. After about 2 hours I found the seat to begin to be uncomfortable compared to the RF or my kayak while the person using my RF said he preferred the seat in the New Trick. It was the rigid seat back that began to bother me, but I can understand the design as the back support acts as a thwart helping to reduce the boats weight. Liked the weight of the boat and picking it up and carrying it was easy. Quality of the boat seemed good and it's definitely worth considering.

Peter Hornbeck has learned a bit over the years. The New Trick looks quite fun.. I hated the old cheeked Hornbecks. Cheek just made them slow and skegged to resist turning but to aid the new paddler in going straight.

I wonder if a kneeling seat could be put in the 13' Blackjack with the 12" depth. That could be a nice pack boat, which you could actually canoe (i.e., single blade). Conk, who's a small and wiry guy, has said he didn't feel comfortable kneeling in any of the Hornbecks, but I wonder if he tried a 12" deep model.

Might not be the depth so much as the hull shape. They might feel a bit tippy and not like to be heeled over.

Also are they wider than say a 15' solo?

I've been on three multi day tips with the New Trick 12 footer in the blackjack layup. Other than having the limited hull speed of a 12 ft. craft I find it a delight.
The single blade is my paddle of choice and with the seat padded up 3.5 to 4 inches above the original height is quite comfy to paddle. ADK Keith called it tippy, but I suppose that is a subjective call. Even with the seat raised the boat performed admirably in 30 mph winds and nearly 3 ft. chop on Raquette Lake.
Then there's the 14 lb. weight to revel in.

Back