• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Hit by a Car on Bike

Reaction score
Ambulance ride yesterday. Spine board, neck brace, whole ball of wax. Got t-boned on my bike turning onto my street. A neighbor teen was at the stop sign but didn’t see me. Left shoulder is worse injury, but I’m sore along the rib cage, scapula too. Hurts to move. They said nothing broke, but I’m skeptical about that rotator cuff. Hurts like it did when I had Issues a decade ago. Gotta get it paddle ready in 10 days. Bike is trashed.

Yikes, my man. I'm glad you weren't hurt worse than you were. It's always hard to slow down and let yourself heal up when you've got a goal or task looming in your future, I hope you have some time to take it easy.

Oh no! That’s awful! Heal quickly! Glad it wasn’t a whole lot worse.

As a biker, this makes me cringe. You never know what might happen while you’re out there. Hopefully the neighbor kid learned a huge lesson.

Hope your recovery goes well, and glad it wasn't more serious. Don't rush the canoe trip, it really sucks to be in the bush when your body is aching and uncooperative.

Sorry to hear that. Hope it wasn’t a had trip planned. If it was me I’d probably hold off on the trip or at least keep that as an option. Feel better.
Jim

What an awful experience! I'm so glad you are safe now and healing. I hope it goes quickly.

This past winter my wife fell while walking the dog. Just a little bump on the head she said, no need to worry. So we didn't, except our daughter did. So, hours of ER time spent with doctors and nurses and a couple CT Scans later our neurosurgeon said to us "See, at your age(s) you've plenty to be cautious about. It doesn't take much of a bump to leave bruises." Now, weeks later, all is as well as can be for the two of us. And although neither of us live in fear we do live a little more cautiously. As I type this my wife is putting the final touches to our picnic lunch we'll be taking along on our cycle ride today. As I slowly spin along I'll send out good vibes and best wishes to you Blackfly, in the hopes you heal well and get back to doing what brings you joy as soon as you are able. Paddling your canoe, riding your (next) bike, or walking the dog.
Take care.

Last edited:
I can feel your pain Black_Fly, my first trip is coming up, and I've got a painful 5mm Kidney Stone to pass before I can go.
Good luck with your recovery.

BlackFly. Lots of good advice here about taking it easy. Weak or injured muscles are vulnerable, and out in the brush is no place to have a serious problem. Take it easy and get better.

Wait…bike?
Motorcycle or bicycle?
I was run down by an inattentive driver when commuting home from work on my bicycle, same as the three years before.
For me, it was a life altering series of injuries. That was in 1986 and the aftereffects linger yet.
Hopefully you’ll be ok soonly, the paddling and camping will always be there as long as you’re healthy enough to partake.
Here’s my wishes for your speedy recovery.
Good luck man

I can relate. Here's to a speedy recovery!

When cycling down a local hill at what I call "terminal velocity"- when I can no longer keep up with the pedals in high gear, about 45 mph, I T-boned a whitetail deer which leapt off the high bank to my right. I hit it broadside in mid-air, the bike went under the deer and was unscathed save for some scrapes along the roadway. I however hit the deer with my upper chest and was launched in a full somersault over the handlebars, hit the road on my head and continued to tumble over then slide to a stop. Adrenaline took over and not wanting someone to hit my bike, I quickly got up and retrieved it from the roadway. I re-mounted, coasted to the next intersection, and got off to recover on the curb. Only 2 miles from home I thought I would pedal home in spite of the bloody road rash on all my hard points... elbows, knees, shoulders... but decided against it. Called my wife who took me directly to the ER for repairs! Head CT, hip X-ray, staples in my skull (the helmet was destroyed but did it's job!), and a couple of weeks of open road rash recovery. Only long-term damage was Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) diagnosed by my son, a doctor of Audiology. It made climbing ladders & scaffolding, a regular part of my work, very difficult and dangerous!

Be careful - crashed carbon fiber can be iffy. You don’t need a catastrophic failure on your next ride. Have it checked over thoroughly.

Back