• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Hiking Backpack VS Dry bags

Reaction score
I have owned/own Duluth Packs, Bills Bags, Watershed and various dry bags. The idea of using a 70L backpacking backpack with smaller dry bags inside, instead of two 60L Bills bags, seams like it would be great in the ADK or Boundary Waters for portaging. A hiking backpack is more comfortable than what we customarily use. I would put stuff I did not care if it for wet month outside of the backpack. I tried packing one and I can get all my crap in/on it.

Anyone do this? The one negative I can think of is if the padding gets wet on the backpack how long will it take to dry?

I don't use my hiking packs for canoe trips as I have 60 & 90L Eagle Creek bags that are more waterproof but, on backpacking trips, I've often gotten packs soaked in the rain (if it's warm, I often just hike and don't bother with rain gear). They're typically made to dry quickly so I don't think that will be an issue... The issue will probably be the height of the pack.

Except for my day packs, any of my hiking packs would be tall enough to interfere with having a canoe on my shoulders. This may not be a deal breaker either as long as you're willing to double carry on portages but I'd pack everything & try it in the yard before committing.

I have owned/own Duluth Packs, Bills Bags, Watershed and various dry bags. The idea of using a 70L backpacking backpack with smaller dry bags inside, instead of two 60L Bills bags, seams like it would be great in the ADK or Boundary Waters for portaging. A hiking backpack is more comfortable than what we customarily use. I would put stuff I did not care if it for wet month outside of the backpack. I tried packing one and I can get all my crap in/on it.

Anyone do this? The one negative I can think of is if the padding gets wet on the backpack how long will it take to dry?
I use my Osprey Atmos 50 with drybags inside as you suggest when tripping, it's just so darn comfortable to carry. The Atmos is on the small side, so it requires some maneuvering for longer trips (I bring my ancient Camp Trails Catskill, which I believe is 70 liters, for longer solo trips). The challenge I find is carrying the canoe along with the pack. Obviously if you double-portage it's not an issue, but if you're going to single-carry it can be difficult. Northstar Block Pads help a bit, but depending on what boat you're carrying it's better with the brain removed from the Atmos (which of course limits some space). If left in place, the brain can brace up upon the seat, a thwart, or even the bottom of the canoe, meaning you need to perhaps carry backwards, or at least practice a bit to see how it all will fit and allow you to pitch the canoe when carrying.

Without the block pads, a carry yoke sits up on the load lifter straps and puts some additional pressure on your upper shoulders; sometimes this can be kind of nice as the boat sort of nestles in a groove behind your shoulders and is held between your neck and pack.

When paddling I usually put my rain cover on the Atmos, which I especially recommend if you are going to sit-and-switch. I use a 30 liter dry bag in the upper compartment, and several light-weight smaller drybags for my sleeping bag and cook equipment.

I use my Osprey Atmos 50 with drybags inside as you suggest when tripping

Nikon, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please consider adding your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is in many ways a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

I use a Duluth pack with a thin, light, flexible and breathable Granite Gear eVent pack liner. Inside that, I organize the contents of the pack with a few lightweight, non-waterproof ditty bags.

I also have a very lightweight GoLite Gust backpack that I've occasionally used on short trips to cut down on weight. I can put an eVent liner in that, too.

Nikon, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please consider adding your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is in many ways a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

I use a Duluth pack with a thin, light, flexible and breathable Granite Gear eVent pack liner. Inside that, I organize the contents of the pack with a few lightweight, non-waterproof ditty bags.

I also have a very lightweight GoLite Gust backpack that I've occasionally used on short trips to cut down on weight. I can put an eVent liner in that, too.
Thanks for the welcome and the suggestion! Done :)

FWIW, the Bills Bags are probably the least comfortable modern portage bags out there, with just a whiff of a waist belt. The SealLine Pros are much more comfortable, as are the MEC Slogg equivalent, and the Cooke and Granite Gear more traditional portage packs. Personally, with my boney frame a padded hip belt is necessary.

I have done something very like that, although instead of using a dedicated backpacking back pack I usually use a Granite Gear traditional pack in either the #3.5 or #4 size. I put gear into very lightweight roll top dry bags of various sizes and colors ranging from 8 to 20 liter capacity. The separate dry bags help keep related gear organized instead of dumping everything into one big bag.

The light weight roll top bags I use are mostly from Sea to Summit or Outdoor Research. They do not seem robust enough to be kicking around the bottom of a canoe but they do just fine inside a Cordura nylon pack.

The Granite Gear traditional packs lack an internal frame and are not as comfortable for a long portage but the have contoured, padded shoulder straps and a good, padded waist belt which makes them infinitely more comfortable to lug around on my back than a Duluth Pack, IMO. There is certainly no reason you could not use the same approach with a dedicated back packing pack.

Thanks for the input. I expect most of the time I will double portage. My backpack is very comfortable for me, with internal dry bags I could not think of a good reason not to use it on a 2.5 day trip.

I tripped with a backpacker's pack for years until I was given a portage pack. Lots of discussion of backpack vs portage pack on this thread:

I've since used the portage pack on several trips. To me the big difference is how gear goes in the pack. With a backpack, my tent fits in exactly one way, and everything must be packed around it in a particular way for it all to fit. Add a bear canister to the mix and you have to be more precise. With the portage pack, it all fits any which way. Easier to pack, but it can be a black hole finding things in there, and you have to pack it right to avoid things moving around and jabbing you in the back (it's easy, but it does take a moment of thought).

As far as fitting the pack in the boat or portaging the boat with the pack on, I'd say it's a case by case basis but I've always found a way to get my backpack in the canoe. If I hadn't been given a portage pack, I'd still be happily using my backpack. I've gone to thinner, more ripstop-nylon type dry bags inside packs. I'm not sure if they're truly waterproof but they're definitely good inside a pack in a downpour.

dtvburns, I always use conventional backpacks when canoe camping.

Positives: I feel that conventional backpacks are more comfortable and provide better organization and access to my equipment.

Negatives: I feel that conventional backpacks interfere more when lifting and lowering the canoe from my shoulders and that they require more skill to pack efficiently.

A tall backpack requires that I lift the canoe higher above my shoulders when placing or removing the canoe. However, once in place on my shoulders I find that the sling or block style carry yoke pads that I have used sit comfortably on the shoulder straps of my backpack.

My backpack often sits in bilge water and rain. I waterproof essential equipment and am not concerned about keeping the backpack itself dry. I choose backpacks with materials that are relatively non-hydroscopic and that drains well so that water has less impact on the weight.

John

I never tried this, but I think a couple of those big dry bags lashed together with a tumpline, might be a good way to keep your most precious of gear dry on a rain soaked trip. Might want to start now toughening in your neck muscles. Your neighbors will wonder about your sanity as you walk around the block with a big bag of dog food strapped to your head. Maybe do this after dark.

I’ll try a backpack. I do a bunch of two to three day trips. For longer trips I have two bills bags and food storage. 74CC0BD8-B0D2-43B1-B316-96919BAAC7F7.jpeg

Back