• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

hi from kansas

G

Hi all, my name is Paul, my wife Lynn and I are in Kansas. Not a lot of water out here but we have a canoe that we use on a couple of small lakes near here. We have some land in Colorado near the Arkansas river but won't be take it on there, a little to big for us. We have an old town penebscot 174, but I am wanting to build a ceder stripper some day. Looking forward to meeting the folks on the forum and learning more about the sport.
Paul

Welcome Paul, Lots of folks here know about the strippers, Great looking and paddling canoes.
Robin

Paul,
Some day never comes unless you make it so...just dive in and build that boat, doesn't matter how it comes out, the next one will be better, and the one after that, etc.
Take a look here, my nephew is building a 17 ft tandem even as I type. We just popped it off the forms yesterday, looks like it will end up around 40 lbs when done.
I have built quite a few strippers, feel free to contact me if you get serious about building.

Stripperguy - Very nice pics. How many hours does it take to build one boat? Would someone with moderate skill - that might be saying a lot, how about - little to no wood working skills, be able to make a boat like that? Patch

Man that looks great. I have 1 big project in restoring a 1969 Scotty hilander camper this summer but may start on one after that. On the Scotty will be doing a lot of the same things as I am planning on fiberglassing the camper and painting instead of using the aluminium siding that it came with.

A typical build takes me about 40 to 50 hours...my nephew is building right now (maybe you saw the photos?) and he will likely have about 60 hours invested.
There is another forum that I hang around, a member there is building his first ever boat and it's coming out OK...He is a computer nerd (his words, not mine) and jokes that his workmates don't let him use a screwdriver. He's doing just fine.
Building a stripper is much easier than it may appear. it's just a series of steps, usually with plenty of allowance for mistakes. The only challenging part, for most folks, is the fiberglassing, a serious error in that step is time consuming and costly to recover from. But, with a little common sense and practice on scrap material, glassing is no big deal either.

BTW, most of my boats are high performance, and are generally as light in weight as some Kevlar and carbon commercially built boats. When you compare the performance and weight of my boats to a $3,000 commercial build, and realize that it costs about $600 in materials, the choice is clear. And I may be a bit biased, but I do think that wood boats are prettier than any carbon, kevlar or fiberglass boats.
And one last thing, I typically abuse my boats, occasionally rupturing the hull, abrading through the laminate on rocky streams, even had one crushed in a cross current swamping...no big deal, I built them, I can easily repair them. If I had spent $3,000 on a boat, I would be heartsick with every nick and scratch.
The strippers are actually pretty strong, you can walk in an unsupported hull without fear of damaging it...strippers are quiet in the water, and keep you warm when the water is cold.

What could be better??

Wow - you have sold me!!! Sorry about hijacking Pauls thread here! I do have a question though... what about the stability? If the original design isn't geared towards stability, can you make them more stable? I really enjoy the outdoors, and do as much kayak fishing \ camping \ exploring as possible. I really like my HyBrid kayak \ canoe. I can stand up in it, while on the water - and have plenty of room to take my little guy out with me (5 years old). No worries about tipping, ever. Stability and safety is very important to me.
Your kayaks look beautful, and I was thinking of trying to convince my wife - to work on this project with me. Spend a couple hours every night, after the little guy goes to bed. We can spend quality time together, working on the project, and then maybe - she will want to go out with me then. She isn't into camping \ kayaking.. but, maybe this project will help her want to go out more often.

Back