• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Hi from Chicago

Reaction score
I've wanted to build a strip canoe for a very long time. Now that I'm retired I can make that happen (a Kite). It's also been a long time since I've been canoeing regularly. I very much look forward to spending more time on the water. Backpacking has been a passion since I was a teen, so tripping will definitely be in my future (BWCA is just a day's drive away).

Pre-retirement I restored fine violins for a living. Restoration is extremely detail oriented work, often requiring absolutely perfectly fitting gluing surfaces. Canoe building can't accommodate that level of precision, so I'll need to adapt or drive myself crazy. Wish me luck!

This site has been a tremendous resource for building (etc.) information. I haven't found a better one out there. I've been lurking here for far too long so it's high time to introduce myself and start posting.

Welcome to the campfire Spuvak. Pull up a stump don’t be afraid to ask questions.
I’m a long time boatbuilder that fools around with instrument making.
Jim

Welcome! I enjoyed living in Chicago in my early 20’s. I’m looking forward to your build. I have something similar cooking in my noodle as well.

Bob

Welcome Mr Spuvak,
Glad you find this place helpful, also happy to hear you will build a Kite. I’m sure you can ease the throttle from “superb” to “good enough”
Looking forward to seeing your progress and the choices you’ll make

This site has been a tremendous resource for building (etc.) information. I haven't found a better one out there. I've been lurking here for far too long so it's high time to introduce myself and start posting.

Spuvak, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please
read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

Pre-retirement I restored fine violins for a living.

I met a violin restorer from Saratoga Springs, NY, at a 2009 freestyle canoe symposium, who had begun wooden canoe building. He has never been a member of this forum to my knowledge, but went by the handle Battenkiller on another forum.

Back