• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Hey Y'all!

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I am a life long kayaker, touring mostly in the BWCA with a dash of whitewater thrown in once I moved south 20+ yrs ago. Moving into the autumn of my years the extended trips have become less frequent & simple overnighters more common. Last year my wife decided kayaks were to much trouble to get in & out of & frankly, I was right behind her in that notion. I used to canoe a good bit in my youth & decided it was time to bring it back. Last week I bought a Wenonah Spirit II. After our 1st trip up the Kentucky river the Mrs decided she loved it & I had a fair bit of fun as well. We are already starting to plan some extended trips.
I make fine furniture as a hobby so see some cedar strip & lapstrake canoes in our future to boot.

In any case, I am mostly here to learn from y'all. I am looking for tips & tricks on packing, rigging & generally living out of a canoe for days on end. I expect I will spend a fair bit of time just scouring this forum. I will however share my experiences as well & what I learn along the way. I am looking forward to the trip!

Welcome to the campfire. Sounds like you have an interesting background and we're looking forward to your post.

Moving into the autumn of my years the extended trips have become less frequent & simple overnighters more common. Last year my wife decided kayaks were to much trouble to get in & out of & frankly, I was right behind her in that notion.

KY_Canoe, welcome to site membership!

There are many canoeists here of your age group and older, and many have paddled whitewater and sea kayaks at times during their long paddling careers.

Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Thank you for adding your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport, and also for adding an avatar. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

Back