• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Hemlock Peregrine vs. Kestrel

Yup. Kestrel was designed as a Peregrine for smaller paddlers. LDC used to trip in Canada with wife Carol and he paddled the Peregrine and she the Kestrel . The smaller size allowed her to get a vertical stroke in and also reduced skin friction which is important for smaller paddlers.

The Kestrel does not have as much rocker as specs show so I suspect it would handle somewhat like the Serenade.

I believe Turtle has paddled both so I will wait for his feedback.

It would be nice if we could borrow a Kestrel from LDC at Solo Canoe Rendezvous and take it to Wisconsin and then bring it back to Dave Curtis the following week. Dreaming.

Yep,
I owned a sweet 27# Kestrel for several years and have paddled a Pereigrine a lot. bear in mind I like smaller solos. Also these a my opinions.The kestrel is narrower-easier side reach,a little more tender, less effort to maintain cruising speed, lighter and the most sidewind resistant solo I have ever paddled.. Both are similar in tracking and feel. The peregrine will carry a lot more weight and feels much bigger, better in waves due to higher freeboard. Both great canoes by an excellent builder.The premium layup like I had is among the best in the industry-stiff,light and strong. To answer your question-yes unless she finds the peregrine at here tolerance limit for tenderness. My wife a loved it also.
Turtle

Davis Yost designed several small solo trippers; the Curtis Vagabond 14.75' in ~ '82, the Swift Loon 14.5' ~'92, the Placid RapidFire 15' in 2005 and the Swift Keewaydin 14' in 2014. All are 27.5-28" wide max beam and are tumblehomed. The Kestrel is splashed from a modified Vagabond. Loon and Vagabond are NLS.

The Peregrine is splashed from a modified Curtis Nomad, 15'4" '85, Yost's fourth large Solo tripper. It was followed by Swift's Heron 15' ~92, Bell's Merlin II 15' in ~'96, Swifts Keewaydin 15 in 2011-12 and NorthStar's 15'5" Northwind Solo. All are 28.5-30" wide, the later wider as society has "supersized" itself. Heron and Merlin are NLS.

The larger boats have higher potential speed because they are longer but more drag/resistance for the same reason. Their width increases stability but compromises the paddler's ability to employ a vertical paddleshaft.

Your client probably won't notice a significance in immediate tests unless he/she is small in stature. If dedicated to the double blade, the Placid RF and Swift 14 and Kee 15 are available so rigged with low seats.

For kneeling paddlers, Kestrel, RapidFire and Kee 14 are available with kneeling seats among the smaller hulls, Nomad, Peregrine, Kee 15 and NorthWind Solo are available so trimmed among the larger hulls.

Best choice? how large is the paddler, how much power do they use and what is the preferred stance in the boat.

Yes, but the tenderness never bothered my wife although she commented on it. The difference is slight and after a few hrs. paddling is not noticed again. In my opinion she would be much happier in a Kestrel.
Turtle

We still do not know whether the smaller paddler intends to sit low, ~ 2" off bottom with a double paddle, sit ~6" off bottom with a single blade bent or kneel ~9" off bottom with a single straight blade.

Minor problems in that scenario. Sitting with a single blade she'll definitely need the narrower boat but that's pretty high to sit. The extra width of one of the larger solo trippers to increase stability would not be a problem with a double blade but might be quite an issue with a single blade where verticality is a requirement. Of the three, Hemlock can custom fit seat height as can Placid boatworks. Swift's little 14 may be the best option out of the box due to reduced surface area and the Canadian tendency to drop seats a little lower.

Bon chance

Back