• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Help with paddling spots in Western New York

G

I have an itch to take my boat out on Saturday and it is supposed to be blazing hot, and likely an afternoon thundershower (that is assuming I stay in my area).

I'm fishing for ideas for someplace to paddle within an hour or two of Rochester, NY.

So far I've been out on Irondequoit creek twice and Canadice once but I'd like to go somewhere different. I'd always prefer to avoid motor boats but there are very few places here where they aren't a presence.

Black creek is off my list - too shallow and rocky for my current hull.

Any other suggestions? I have a paddle guide book for my area I should dig up but I haven't been impressed with it thus far. Maybe it's just the paddling sucks in the area...

When we lived in Syracuse there wasn't much except the canals and Finger Lakes. Sorry for the bummer. Hopefully I just missed the good stuff.

I grew up in Syracuse, and though I never canoed much there, I don't think there WAS much in the area... Have you tried the Genesee River, starting up around Letchworth/Mt Morris, Geneseo, or Avon? If you'd like to go further, Keuka Lake, though it has power boats, is a nice place too (my in-laws all live in/around the area.)

My uncle always took us into the Adirondacks or down to the Delaware for our canoe trips.

I forgot about the Erie canal. That might not be bad. I've never paddled it.

Canadice is the best of the finger lakes IMO. Motor boats are limited to 16' and 10hp. There are no houses on it either. Hemlock is the same way but it is a bit bigger and can get windy. Both are reservoirs for Rochester. If ever in the area I recommend them as being the nicest canoe areas.

If I were in Syracuse I would head north to ADKs. That is where I like to go but it is 3 1/2 hrs minimum from my house to any lakes in the park. The good ones are farther.

I prefer hemlock lake to Canadice. Probably because of childhood memories. Anyway, if you head north and west of Rochester to Braddocks Bay, there is a public put in. while motorboats are on the Bay, there are few because they haven't dredged in a while and there is no lake access for the larger motor boats. From Braddocks you can paddle up both Buttonwood Creek and Salmon Creek or even get out onto lake ontario if the conditions are safe (like today).

Good suggestion. Thanks. I've hiked around Braddock a few times but I have never paddled out there. It will probably be cooler near the lake (or so I hope).

Also my postman, who is an avid paddler, mentioned the Genessee as a spot he goes out near where he lives (not sure the exact area) but he didn't seem to thrilled about it.

I thought of another spot in the area, just for a reference. West river is at the South end of Canandaigua lake. There is a parking lot on RT 245 between Middlesex and Naples. I haven't been out there in years and I can't recall what it is like but I know it is popular with fishermen and women. I don't think motor boats can really get out there, maybe small outboards but they wouldn't be moving fast. I've been meaning to get out there again to see what it is like these days.

Any more ideas keep them coming... it would be nice to have a reference to go to for weekends I don't feel like driving.

I prefer hemlock lake to Canadice. Probably because of childhood memories. Anyway, if you head north and west of Rochester to Braddocks Bay, there is a public put in. while motorboats are on the Bay, there are few because they haven't dredged in a while and there is no lake access for the larger motor boats. From Braddocks you can paddle up both Buttonwood Creek and Salmon Creek or even get out onto lake ontario if the conditions are safe (like today).

Have you been out on Buck Pond? I don't know if there is a spot to put in there but that looks a little more secluded.

I found this:

http://greeceny.gov/files/NewGreecePassport.pdf

Last few pages outline the canoe routes around Braddock Bay WMA.

Last edited:
Have you been out on Buck Pond? I don't know if there is a spot to put in there but that looks a little more secluded.

I found this:

http://greeceny.gov/files/NewGreecePassport.pdf

Last few pages outline the canoe routes around Braddock Bay WMA.

Buck is nice. The put in is just off edgemere drive at the northeast corner of the pond. Small dirt parking area. Also since crescent beach is closed for renovations, people have been parking in their lot and crossing the street to fish Buck from shore.

Also Cranberry Pond has a parking area and put-in at the northwest corner of the pond off edgemere. There is channel from Cranberry to access Long Pond too. At the south end of long pond is a creek (I do not recall the name) which is paddle-able for a ways.

just looked at that link. Great info there. I had a nice chuckle about what the town considered "challenging" and/or "experienced".

Just got back. Man was it hot!

Buck pond was really nice. Lots of wildlife out there. We saw ducks, swans, redwings, blue herons, jumping carp, and a snapping turtle (I rarely see them IN the pond).

I'd hardly call it challenging although it did get a little windy at times - actually was nice on a day like today. We explored both the channel and the inlet but it really only took about 2 hrs to get around, and that was with a couple water breaks.

I liked it a lot better than Irondequoit creek - a little cleaner I'd say although I did see some floating treasures here and there.

Just got back. Man was it hot!

Buck pond was really nice. Lots of wildlife out there. We saw ducks, swans, redwings, blue herons, jumping carp, and a snapping turtle (I rarely see them IN the pond).

I'd hardly call it challenging although it did get a little windy at times - actually was nice on a day like today. We explored both the channel and the inlet but it really only took about 2 hrs to get around, and that was with a couple water breaks.

I liked it a lot better than Irondequoit creek - a little cleaner I'd say although I did see some floating treasures here and there.

Nice! Buck and the others are quick little trips, unless you are fishing or head up the creeks from the other small ponds/bays. My wife reminded me of the "secret pond" which is accessible from Buttonwood Creek. From Braddocks Bay, head upstream on Buttonwood, under the parkway and after a short while a small pond will appear to the east. She loves paddling to that small pond 43.29609,-77.725333

Excellent. If the weather holds up maybe we will go out there tomorrow. It was nice to be able to paddle so close to home.

Even Hemlock is about 40 mins which seems far compared to these ponds. I never see as much wildlife around Hemlock or Canadice as I do in the Wetlands around the city. Amazing how many Blue Herons we have here. I spotted at least 6 last time I was at Irondequoit creek and I'd say at least that many today. Sometimes I can't tell if I am spotting the same ones because they fly off when we get close to them... a couple good (but not good enough I couldn't spot them) hiders would stay in the reeds.

Last edited:
I was tipped off of a couple other western NY spots by some new folks I met. If any of them turn out to be nice I will report back here. I can't remember any of them but my wife wrote them down...

For now I'd say:

Hemlock and Canadice
Buck Pond
Irondequoit Creek
Mendon Ponds

are top choices. I didn't much like the other ponds up by the lake - a lot of construction and houses kind of spoiled them for me. But to each his/her own.

Black Creek and Bergen Swamp are likely candidates for my list as well ;) I found out launching at Black Creek Park is not the best spot to get on Black Creek.

Back