• Happy Scream Day! 😱

For Sale a Mad River Canoe Slipper Solo Canoe-SOLD

Reaction score
For sale is a 1988 Mad River Canoe Slipper in a custom fiberglass layup. I worked for MRC in the late 1980s and this canoe was built for me as an employee purchase. The layup is fiberglass/S glass, Kevlar®, and Coremat® providing a very rigid, lightweight hull. The weight is in the low 40s but I don’t remember exactly.. It is in the color teal with blue and steel blue stripping and steel blue decals. The ash trim is stained dark walnut. The inwales are slotted and the decks are butternut with a brass Confident Rabbit medallion on the bow deck. It has a sliding cane seat that is in excellent condition with a fresh coat of spar polyurethane on the cane webbing. Included is an MRC removable portage yoke. The price is $975.00 and can be picked up in Elizabethton, TN. If you have any questions or would like additional details and photographs please let me know.Thank you for your interest in the classic solo canoe.

Steve Allen
Elizabethton, TN

Attachments

• photo18565.jpg
    photo18565.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 23
  • photo18566.jpg
    photo18566.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 119
  • photo18567.jpg
    photo18567.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 18
  • photo18568.jpg
    photo18568.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 16
As a Vermont-built hull, especially one custom built for an employee, I expect the Slipper is a fine piece of craftsmanship.

Steve, I expect you know, but for folks who might not, MRC built the Slipper from 1985 to 1996 in glass or kevlar, and in “Carbonlite” (?) in 1998. The Carbonlite version was a little different dimensionally, deeper all around, center, bow and stern.

Symmetrical, with typical Jim Henry shallow vee, but designed by Bob Brown & Cliff Jacobson.

In glass (46lbs) or kevlar/PVC (34lbs)
14’ 7” length
27” Gunwale width
32” waterline at 4”
11 ½” deep at center

A very cool, uncommon solo. A classic.

Back