• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Hello from Iowa

Reaction score
New member to this site. Been living in Iowa since 1984. Started canoeing on Sugar Creek in Crawfordsville, IN back in mid 70's. My wife's dad introduced me to the BWCA/Quetico in 1979. I have been to Quetico every year from 1979 to 2019. I thoroughly enjoy paddling and fishing in Quetico. I did my first BWCA trip over the 4th of July 2020 as Covid 19 closed the Canadian border. A real bummer. But, I had a lot of fun paddling and fishing Lac la Croix with 2 buddies. I retired June 5th after 41 years in agricultural chemical business and a 2 week trip up north was a great way to start off retirement.

I am primarily a walleye fisherman. My moniker is Wally13 ... as I am searching for that elusive 13 pound walleye. I grew up in Connecticut and fished a lot with my brothers for stripers, bluefish and flounder in Long Island Sound. And occasionally for shark. It was a bit of an adjustment catching smaller freshwater 20 inch walleye and 18 inch small mouth that I would be using as bait back home in Connecticut. But light tackle has made walleye and smallie fishing by canoe in Quetico a lot of fun. Catching a 40+ inch northern in my 16 foot solo Bell Magic really gets me going.

Here are some fish pics. 30 inch Lake Trout I caught trolling 40 feet deep over 100 feet of water, smallie, night fishing walleye.

I enjoy both solo tripping and group tripping. Nothing better than the comaraderie with my buds when tripping.

Looking forward to reading posts on canoetripping.net. I have to say that learned a lot from fellow paddlers from around the country over the years.

Attachments

• photo16996.jpg
    photo16996.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo16997.jpg
    photo16997.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo16998.jpg
    photo16998.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo17000.jpg
    photo17000.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo17001.jpg
    photo17001.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 0
Nice catch!
Might pummel you with Quetico questions in the future, as that park is on my bucket list.
Welcome! :)

Hurray ! Another Iowan !

You are 2/3 s the state away ! Hope to cross waters some day ! I'm in Humboldt .

Jim

Welcome from Pinnacle, North Carolina. I spent several summers growing up fishing across the Sound from you fishing for the same fish and for blowfish outside Wading River, NY.

Best regards to all,

Lance

There goes the neighborhood! This guy has been around and I can tell you from first hand experience if he starts teaching you how to assemble his favorite fishing baits from scratch start filming with your cell phone. I could not help but notice he did not offer info on fishing Opasquia (that dream fishing location in northern Ontario) but then I am sure he will if you ask. Welcome aboard!!

Oh ! 13 # Walleye ?

Make a trip to Spirit Lake in the Spring, and volunteer with the DNR Fish Hatchery !
All my Walleyes weigh 13 # ! The trick is in how you hold the scale ! ;)

Dagger ... I will help you all I can with Quetico. Marten is a great resource too. He is right ... I do fish for big walleye in remote Opasquia Provincial Park ... but not a roughing it trip by canoe. It’s a fly in cabin set up with motors. LOL.

Hey Lawrence. How’s it going ? Was going to give you a call but I figured it best to let you have some time to recover from your trip. I followed you as did TomT, Wayne, Jimbo and Stew. You did well.

I am planning stages of Source to Sea Mississippi River Trip. I am think of last week of Aug departure date from Lake Itasca MN. Thinking of going with Bell Magic for early part of trip that has more beaver dams and portages and then going to my sea kayak for rest.

If you are interested .. would be great to hook up. I just picked up a VHS Marine Radio to talk to Lock Masters at 29 Lock and Dams.

Back