• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Hello from Connecticut

Reaction score
Hello all,
After watching this website for a while I finally joined up. Home is near the coast of Connecticut, near the mouth of the Housatonic River. I've always been interested in simple, well designed and built, aesthetically pleasing, small boats without engines. Small enough that one can reach over the side and touch he water. Although one of my boats is a sea kayak, I haven't swallowed the kayak kool aid, and prefer my solo canoe. Connecticut has several harbors and tidal estuaries that are fun and fascinating. A goal for this Spring is three days on the Connecticut River from Hartford to the mouth at Old Saybrook. My camera is just a point and shoot for memories, but I'll try to take a few goods ones to post.

I escaped from Madison some thirteen years ago. Selden Island is a very attractive camping spot on the CT River.

Welcome and have you paddled the Park River in Hartford? Some time ago there was a fella giving tours there..seriously.

Hi, Welcome, up in the NW Corner of the state here, looking forward to hearing about you travels,
Robin

YC, you used to live in Madison - Wisconsin? I'm in Stoughton.

Welcome, Mowgli.

YC, you used to live in Madison - Wisconsin? I'm in Stoughton.

Welcome, Mowgli.

Madison Connecticut. About 20 times smaller than your Madison..(Been there too and wondered why so many shopping malls?) The one in CT has great paddling year round.

Welcome. I'm upstream on the Housatonic in Litchfield County.

There is the Housatonic Valley paddling club, as well as the AMC, New Haven hikers and Connyak for club paddling connections in CT.

Selden Island on the Connecticut River is a GREAT spot. A wooded hilly island over a mile long with just four well spaced primitive campsites. I do an overnight there every late October as a mental battery recharge. There is always a good chance of a bald eagle sighting, and I one winter I saw a seal in Hamburg Cove.

Back