• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Hello from Alaska!

Reaction score
Hi all!

Been browsing these forums for a while now, but haven't had an overwhelming need to post until recently, so here I am. I'm currently living in Anchorage, Alaska, after having hopped around the country over the last decade or so (CA, MI, WI, AZ, OK). I cut my teeth on canoe tripping while in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and after some time away from it in less canoe friendly areas, I'm jumping back into it up in the 49th state.

I've been finding a few good canoe trail systems to paddle in the southcentral region, the Swan Lakes/Swanson river system in the Kenai peninsula being one, and the Nancy Lakes recreation area being the other. This summer I'll be checking out some of the downriver trip options, as well as hopping across to the Yukon Territory as well. I'm currently renting boats for the trips I take, but I'm working on a pack boat build to handle some smaller day trips and weekend outings, I'll be posting about that in the Paddlecraft forum soon!

Looking forward to getting more out of these forums as an active member! Any other AK paddlers around here?

Thanks, I've been learning (and loving!) skiing lately, and working on some of my indoor projects in the mean time, but I've been counting the days for sure!

Welcome. Not Ak but Yukon And lots to paddle up here!! 6 months of paddling and 6 months of skiing... The life you know!!

Welcome Nomad - from Homer. Hope to cross your path on the Swan Lake or Swanson River canoe trails - or in a kayak on the Kachemak Bay Water Trail.
Brad

Hello and welcome, I too was a longtime lurker prior to joining up. You will now be in a warm group of like minded folks. Looking forward to your posts, especially your favorite places to paddle in the UP to forage for brook trout.
I live 7-8 hours North of you in the Interior, Lots of places to paddle in AK, a lifetime is to short to see most of it.

Spent some time (a week) in the Anchorage area ! Cast my first spoon in Ship Creek ! Camped at Montana Creek, where it empties in to the Sushitna (spl) Camped and gorged ourselves on Fresh Salmon.

Saw the Alaska State Fair in Palmer, if my memory is correct !

Met some Super nice people up there !

I'm envious of your location for Sure !!! Enjoy !

Jim

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone! Hopefully I have the chance to wet a paddle with all the AK/YT folks! Boreal Birch, I'm afraid I'm not much of a fisherman and wouldn't be much use chasing brook trout. About the closest I got to that was cracking a cold Two Hearted!

Attachments

• photo11064.png
    photo11064.png
    179.7 KB · Views: 0
Back