• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

Hauling a decked canoe

Reaction score
Those of you that haul a decked canoe on the top of your vehicle, what type of rack system do you use? I have a Thule rack system on top of my Ford Escape and use gunnel stops when hauling other canoes but will need something to cradle the hull of a Wenonah Canak in the near future. Thanks!!

I use the foam blocks shaped like the bottom of the hull on top of my rack with a composite kayak right side up. That's the cheapest option. Composite kayak hulls are a lot stronger than the decks, that's why they usually recommend you put them right side up. I have a plastic kayak too which I have carried upside down on the same foam blocks. Check with wenonah and ask them if you should carry that boat upside down with the weight on the deck, I'm guessing not.

Mark

I use the foam blocks shaped like the bottom of the hull on top of my rack with a composite kayak right side up. That's the cheapest option. Composite kayak hulls are a lot stronger than the decks, that's why they usually recommend you put them right side up. I have a plastic kayak too which I have carried upside down on the same foam blocks. Check with wenonah and ask them if you should carry that boat upside down with the weight on the deck, I'm guessing not.

Mark

​Thanks Mark, I have been using foam blocks and they do work pretty well. I'm thinking of a few trips this spring and would like something a bit more sturdy if I'm traveling a little farther.

The kayak in the middle and the 22' outrigger canoe on the right are both on foam blocks placed on Thule racks. The foam blocks have been carved a bit to fit the different radius hulls. I always carry decked boats with the cockpit facing down. I feel it's more aerodynamic that way and you don't have to use cockpit covers to keep out rain. I've never damaged a deck carrying hulls this way.

I traveled 10,000 miles in one cross-continent trip with the fragile racing layup outrigger just as you see it, and I've traveled from Connecticut to Florida many times with both the kayak and outrigger just as they are.

You can buy expensive Thule cradles, as many people do. Or you can buy J cradles. I don't think they are worth the money and don't believe they work any better for my purposes than foam blocks. Plus, I take the blocks off the bars in two seconds each when I'm not using them. Cradles are a hassle to take on and off a vehicle when you're not boating, and they create a lot of wind noise if you leave them on.

Those are my experiences and opinions. Others have others.

WTAjJ7iqL3NOcNkaDlo-9qyqeCvG0KoQ4x-kIkeyfrYkIovvBtLL7Y-gVV9ztFv8x-wYhDpWqc3X1A=w392-h330

You never want to haul a boat upright. The deck coaming is the strongest support. Hills are weak especially if filled with rainwater they will deform and you will have a heavy heavy beast on a rack that was not meant to hold that weight. Cockpit covers do blow off. And those on the Canak are susceptible.
You see kayaks on j cradles sometimes because the sides are quite strong

You never want to haul a boat upright. The deck coaming is the strongest support. Hills are weak especially if filled with rainwater they will deform and you will have a heavy heavy beast on a rack that was not meant to hold that weight. Cockpit covers do blow off. And those on the Canak are susceptible.
You see kayaks on j cradles sometimes because the sides are quite strong

​Hahaha I transported a Valley Skerray kayak in a torrential downpour for a couple hours with no cockpit cover once......that will never happen again!!

Back