• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Greetings from Georgia

G

Hello. I learned about this site from Murat's blog. I should have been editing my thesis prospectus but most of my workday is spent trying to avoid writing something.

I'm in Georgia and don't go canoeing near enough. I have a 17 foot fiberglass Mohawk, which is too old and too heavy but my wife says the same about me. I also have a 14 Wenonah just picked up last fall. It's my first solo boat and I just love that thing. I've only done some afternoons on the Chattahoochee an overnight on the Etowah, but I find there's nothing like a solo boat.

This year I'm hoping for some weekend trips and at least a one week extended pale on the Altamaha or Flint, but as I alluded to earlier I'm in grad school and just starting on my thesis. I haven't lifted my head from a book in two months and this pattern could go on all year. I'm hoping folks on this forum will be kind enough to post lots of pics and videos so I can live vicariously through others. Consider it an act of charity. Thanks.

Daniel

Hi Daniel. Glad to see you made it over here. I'm sure folks will take you up on your charitable request once paddling season starts rolling.

In the meantime, don't feel that you have to be stuck indoors working on your thesis. Maybe some of your best work will be done in a suitable outdoor environment. I always get inspired by this pic of Charles Steinmetz working out complex engineering problems out of his canoe...

Steinmetz_630x.jpg

Source Link

The best pic ever! That picture is inspiring me to build a new office. I'm going to have to add some shelves to the canoe for the books, but I think this can work. Thanks so much.

Daniel

Hi Daniel. Glad to see you made it over here. I'm sure folks will take you up on your charitable request once paddling season starts rolling.

In the meantime, don't feel that you have to be stuck indoors working on your thesis. Maybe some of your best work will be done in a suitable outdoor environment. I always get inspired by this pic of Charles Steinmetz working out complex engineering problems out of his canoe...

Steinmetz_630x.jpg

Source Link

The Alapaha looked very interesting this morning. But we did not run any of it as the access roads are underwater :( What beautiful cliffs it has on the GA FL border. We stood on one of those banks and contemplated if we really wanted to lower canoes and people down a 30 foot drop when it was 35 F (or 2C). Waters a mite chilly!

I guess if I lived closer I would be looking at that for a fine overnight trip. Probably more like four or five nights.

The Alapaha looked very interesting this morning. But we did not run any of it as the access roads are underwater :( What beautiful cliffs it has on the GA FL border. We stood on one of those banks and contemplated if we really wanted to lower canoes and people down a 30 foot drop when it was 35 F (or 2C). Waters a mite chilly!

I guess if I lived closer I would be looking at that for a fine overnight trip. Probably more like four or five nights.

This state does have a few rivers capable of supporting a multiday trip. I'm planning on hitting one of them in late spring. This might have to be added to the list.

Daniel

Another Mohawk owner!!!! In the area of the Chattahoochee and the Etowah is the Chestatee. The lower Chestatee would be a great place for the Mohawk on a full moon night. Appalachian Outfitters used to do this.

I avoid whitewater if I can. The Chestatee is too much for me regardless. I'm more of a slow and easy paddler, and rapids interrupt my thoughts about my next meal. Of course, you can't really avoid the class I shoals in Georgia, but those are just there to keep folks awake rather than challenge one's skills. Kind of like a speed bump in reverse.

Daniel

welcome! I just finished my master's this past december, after a 4 year effort... wow. just put your head down and keep at it... eventually, you will finish. canoe time is perfect for clearing the head.

Back