• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Greetings from Gavia

G

Greetings! I'm a relative newcomer to the canoe tripping scene, having done only a dozen Boundary Waters trips. About half my trips have been solo, the rest tandem. Also did quite a bit of soloing on the big flowages in northern Wisconsin as well as a few rivers. Looking forward to learning a few things from folks here.

Great to have you aboard Gavia! Many moons ago I took a trip down the Wolf River with a friend. Beautiful country. If I remember correctly; we even paddled through a Native American reservation. Maybe an area called The Dells? I'm not sure. Anyway, like I said, I'm glad you made your way here.

Thanks for the warm welcome(s). The Wolf goes through the Menominee Reservation, and in places it rates Class III-IV, with a Class V drop. There is a Dells in the Wisconsin River (at the town of Wis. Dells); also a Dells (or Dalles) on the Eau Claire River near Wausau.

Welcome Gavia,
I live in northern Wisconsin and solo paddle the Turtle-Flambeau and the Willow. Maybe we'll run into each other out there. If you see a grizzled old guy in a red Nova Craft Pal, that would probably be me. The dog in my avatar will probably be with me.

Hi Hogan,
Thanks for the welcome! I haven't been on the flowages for quite some time but it could happen again. Maybe what put me off was camping on an island in the T-F and having a ranger tell me about the group that had been hit by lightning there just a few days earlier. That story, a blasted-apart tree, and little pieces of vitrified sand must have gotten my attention.

When was that? I hadn't heard about it.
I was camped on an island when the tornado hit the flowage in 2010. It blew down a lot of trees, but I had not heard of anyone struck by lightning.

That was mid-July of 2006. I was camped on site C-17, which I think is now F-7. It was the north site on a small island adjacent to a larger island, just east of Big Island. It was a great site with a serviceberry tree in full fruit and thimbleberries back in the woods.

Back