• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Gonna build a new solo

Reaction score
I've built three solo canoes so far, all John Winters designs, the Barracuda, the Osprey and the Raven. I only have the Raven left. I really like it but I built it overkill, used white pine for strips, four ounce and six ounce layers on the outside…in short, I'm finding it too heavy for ports longer than a kilometre.

Anyway, I still have the forms for the Osprey, and I know I can build it around 40 pounds, which is good for me. However, I've never had a dedicated symmetrical solo. I've been searching the web, only really found these plans: http://www.carryingplacecanoeworks.on.ca/pdfdocs/soulmate.pdf

Anyone have any suggestions for symmetrical tripping solos? 15 foot range?

You gonna go with white cedar since it is plentiful around you or stick with red, which is likely costlier?

Hard to say at this point, want to go with white cedar if the skinflints around here will give some up. Got a buddy cutting some up in the spring probably, but that's too far away. I'm probably just going to paint the outside of this one, as it's gonna be a working canoe. On the other hand, the local home hardware store has 16foot lengths of very red decking cedar at a reasonable price.

Memaquay,
I built a symmetrical solo by taking the lines from an asymmetrical canoe and then used the front half for the front AND the rear. You could do the same with offsets or station forms. I also added a foot to the length by increasing the distance between forms. Turned out fine.
Dave

Back