• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

GIS Shape File for Algonquin Park

Reaction score
I've done a good bit of internet searching and have found some good GIS resources for Algonquin Park including a shape file of canoe routes. I am interested in locating a shape file of campsite locations of Algonquin Park. Is there anyone that might know where I might find a GIS Shape file of Algonquin Park Campsites?

Have you contacted the park directly? Looks like they've got in-house GIS capability so I'd imagine they've got a campsite shapefile.

So hard to get info from the minimally staffed Park office. They will deflect you to the Friends of Algonquin Park Map which is only in paper and self destructs when you use it. And it costs The campsites are right there on Jeffs map. Did you click on the link?
You can buy a waterproof version or download the files for free

Thanks for the suggestions. I have Jeff's map and based on it I'm creating a Shape file of campsites/routes. The campsite locations will be location estimates but useful to have on the GPS unit along with the paper map.

Can you tell us about shape files?
You really can't miss campsites and portages as aggravatingly (to me) they are singed in shrieking colors. Not subtle as DEC campsites
I know that Jeffs map is far more accurate than FOA map

Shape files are ESRI vector data formatted for storing the location, shape, and attributes of geographic features like a point or outline that contains one feature which is overlayed onto some mapping program like ESRI GIS program. Some handheld GPS units can import these files that overlay onto a topo map. It's sometimes easier to find and downloaded an already made shapefile but as I've mentioned I've started making my own. Here's a look at the shape file I imported into Google Maps and have on my handheld GPS unit for my upcoming trip.

Last edited:
Back