• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Galt Dandy

If its was owned by a little old lady named Dot, its not quite a Dandy.. Her cedar strip Dandy had a fair amount of tumblehome. The Galt Dandy is all flare. That said it was a wideish boat. It was the first in the domain of Sport Canoeing and did nothing superbly, though when I had mine I liked the way it cruised.

Heeled to the rail it still would not free up its stems and as such was a sort of sluggish turner. Every time I did a post, I had to get water in the boat to free the ends and after two or three of those I would sink..

Interesting bit of canoe history but not worth much money wise.. I paid six hundred about 15 years ago and was lucky to get my money out a few years later.

It is a fine sailing solo.

I basically agree with YC.

I paddled a Lotus Dandy for a full day down the Turner River to Chokoloskee Bay and back in the Everglades in 1984, after which I decided not to buy it. It's not fast and doesn't turn all that well. I bought a Lotus BJX instead that week from Mike Galt, which turns even worse but is very fast. I tired eventually of the one-trick-poniness of the BJX, though I still have it.

In 1986 I bought a Lotus Caper, which I still think is one of the most brilliant and aesthetic solo canoes ever made . . . especially, performance-wise, if you weigh less than about 165 pounds.

Back