• Happy Launch of Lewis & Clark Expedition (1804)! 🧭🏞🏞️

Ford F-150 still most popular

Here's today's Yoda I Sense A Great Disturbance In The Force moment.... Consumer Reports 2017 labels the Toyota Tacoma as the worst compact pickup truck. Lowest rated, poor reliability, do not buy. Can this be true... I am sure I read there were other credible reviewers that found the TT just fine so I believe it not. Perhaps the CR driver stepped in some dog dirt before testing, or some perks, like a free dinner were missing.

See the 1:47 mark... OTOH the Honda Ridgeline gets the best rating in the best rated vehicles vid after this one is over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAkfiVkBP_Q

I have owned Tacomas since 2001, I own a 2013 now, best truck I have ever owned as far as dependability and cost. That's pretty surprising.

i'm on my second tacoma -- my '95 was shot-out from under me, the '02 that replaced it is still warm in the driveway...

I've owned a number of Fords but never a pickup truck. I've liked them but they haven't lasted like Japanese cars. Here's the latest JD Power reliability survey. Guess what I currently own: a Ford and a Dodge.

2016_vds_rank_1.jpg

If Toyota would make a 3/4 ton long box crew cab diesel, I would have one.... But they don't so I have the next best thing, a pre 2007 Dodge ram 2500 Cummings Diesel 5.9L....

Glenn,

...I currently own: a Ford and a Dodge.

What, no Mercedes??? (I had been reading the Mercedes as a canoe car thread and did not make any value judgements for or against... still, interested in the developments to see how you would resolve the seeming mutual exclusion of one relative to the other).

WRT to the JD Power table, I really don't know how a blanket can be thrown over an entire brand when it comes to choosing the right vehicle although the numbers probably have some validity... the way comparisons seem to be made is in individual categories, like compact trucks. electric cars, midsize sedans, SUVs, etc. And what's the top pick relative to the others.

Back in 2010 I had been reading how American manufacturers were catching up with the Japanese so I thought I'd give Ford a try since the reviews seemed good at the time. Since then the reading has been less but Toyota trucks usually were up near the top. So this review seems to be the only turd in the punch bowl so far, and I really have no idea whether they're telling the truth and are onto something or are they biased for some reason.

Consumer reports and powers reports don't always agree with my personal experience or of trusted local mechanics in my region(WNY). An example- I have never met a real happy local prius owner here. I love my 2004 4X4 ranger except for fuel millage. Am looking for a southern salt free future replacement.

I read in a an annual consumer report book for used automobiles that Ford 150 pickups were regarded as disposable vehicles, by both the manufacturer and the buyers. Cheaply made and cheaply sold. I dunno, but that's what I read. This particular series of consumer reports have been scary accurate for whatever cars and trucks I've bought over the years, right down to the passenger seatbelt vibrating with an annoying noise when at a certain speed and with window down to a certain level, the 5th gear slipping right around a certain mileage reached, and the tranny taking a walkabout just as the odometer hit a particular mileage. All different vehicles mind you, but the records of repairs, lawsuits, chronic problems and secret warranties sure touched many makes and models.
That being said, I dropped into my mechanic to arrange for an oil change the other morning. A big blue Ford 150 sat proud as punch with the passenger door wide open. A guy named George was standing talking to the door. I walked up and got straight to the point. "So, what's goin on?" He nodded to the passenger mirror and made a face that spoke clearly of resignation. The big black extendable mirror was fractured, wires splayed out and plastic pieces in odd arrangements, the lone convex mirror staring straight at me. The mess had a Salvador Dali look to it, grotesque and rather artful. I asked if somebody'd clipped him. He hummed and hawed and finally mumbled that his brother's truck caused all the damage. I chuckled that brothers and their trucks ought to watch where they're going. He said he tried to blame it on him but the brother had been sitting in this very passenger seat at the time; that brother's truck was parked and sitting still. "Don't know how I didn't miss the danged thing. It's big enough. It's another Ford." It seems the replacement mirror was over $400, according to our mechanic on the other side of the door wrestling with the door panel. Our mechanic found an after market one for nearly half that cost, but the experience was still painful for George. I quickly changed the subject and asked him "So, other than expensive mirrors, how'd ya like yer truck?" He beamed "I love it!" It seems it's his second new 150, and well on the way to matching the high mileage of the first dependable pickup. I asked about the aluminum frame thing and he said "You know Randy down the road; the Baker farm? He has one and he loves it. S'never driven anything else."
Well now I don't know what to think. Would I drive a Ford 150, or no? What I do know is I'd be danged careful of my mirrors.

Last edited:
i always figured it was because Chev/GMC diluted their market share with very similar product...silverado/sierra

According to the chart the 150 did beat out the Silverado/ Sierra in 2016 but most years hasn't. The GM product is virtually the same truck with two names. But you will never convince a Ford owner to buy GM and vice versa.

I'm still wondering if they've figured out how to make paint stick to aluminum longer than all the paint I've seen peeling off the aluminum window trim on cars I've had over the years. Never seems to go much past 10 years, if that.

Re: disposable pickups...
Those who really work their trucks hard (farmers, for instance), do seem to expect that they will be reduced to trash in short order (my definition of short order these days is anything under 200k miles). It's hard to go through your work day on a farm or a ranch, constantly babying your truck. I can't fathom how this squares with new small truck prices now hovering around the $60k mark. Many of these folks buy those trucks because they have to, not because they want to. I suppose tax breaks for business expense make it seem more reasonable, but it looks insane to me.

Last edited:
Back