• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

For those of you who like solitude of the solo canoe.

Don't often have a camera with me so it was sort of a composite. So many scenes and animals that were never recorded during over 40 years of solo canoeing in LaVérendrye. To keep the vid authentic I did not use any pics from tandem trips.
G.

Nice video Gerald, La Verendrye is a great paddling destination. I wonder if that beaver dam at 2:09 opened naturally or if some paddler came along and opened it to avoid a portage.
Asking for a friend.

Hey Robin,

Ha ha!. I don't break beaver dams. I, if on the high water side going to a lower level, will pick up speed and go over the dam and slide down the backside. When coming upstream I do as this guy in the photo.

Official beaver dam inspector just doin his job, eh, "checking for weak spots".

ps Nice collection of solo solitude Gerald. I really must paddle La V some day.

Beaver dams are annoying. If there was just one or two on a stream, it would be different. I generally get into a string of them and end up wet, covered in muck, and worn out. But it's still better than a day at work.;)

since i have to climb over log jams a lot on a local stream, I used to doing this and it's little bother-even a chance to stretch your legs.-Turtle

Truly just a part of the wilderness experience. Besides, if you like the solitude of traveling in a solo canoe, the dams provide a filter against those who do not like or are unwilling to work at the necessary experience to gain the remote solitude.

I could see where beaver dams would be a problem in a small solo boat. In a tandem a just push my bow up onto the dam at a low spot and walk to the front and step off. Getting out of the boat and onto the dam is the hard part, pulling the boat over it is easy, especially with two people.

In my 10.5' Hornbeck it is easy to come broadside to a beaver dam and carefully step out onto the jumbled sticks, maybe they are cemented and firm with mud, maybe not. Haul the canoe with gear over to the other side and re-enter. When soloing (or tandem) in a C2, the waterway may not be wide enough or the dam may not be straight enough to make a broadside exit and entry as easy, forcing a nose-in hand over hand canoe walk to the bow for exit, hoping the canoe does not drift away as I try not to bridge the hull up on the damaging sticks.

In my area of Iowa, Farmers see Beaver as vermin. Our County Supervisors at one time had a $25 Bounty on them.
To me they are a High light of any paddling trip ! Now days a Rare one !
Mink sightings are also rare, and cherished.
Count your Blessing to have a few Beaver dams to Portage !

Jim

Nice and quiet. The sound of dipping a cup was almost startling. Sweet video on a cold winter day.

Back