• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Foam Core Construction

Reaction score
Are any of you very knowledgeable with foam core and composite layups?

I built a solo canoe years ago using 3/8” thick Corecell foam that was skinned inside and out with Kevlar and an extra layer of fiberglass on the exterior. It was an extremely tough boat and fairly light but I want to go lighter. It ended up fully rigged around 38-39 lbs and I want to drop the weight to around 30.

I would appreciate any input on what core thickness and material combinations you would recommend for the toughest yet lightweight boat possible for long distance marathon races. 60-340 miles

I’m trying to research and learn more about core layup construction but still have a lot to learn.

Thanks for any information. This is the boat which you may have seen in another thread.

57C1D913-1EF6-416A-A050-1A4A84C9DF04.jpegACED5DB6-9AB9-4F73-ADD3-E89693380B77.jpeg

Just a few thoughts from my limited experience.

Two layers of Kevlar, inside and out is over kill, in my opinion.

Go with S-glass for at least one of those layers. Sweets composites only has 4 oz, in 60" widths.
https://sweetcomposites.com/ They may be able to help more with a lay up selection.

An extra layer over the football would add durability, and stiffness.

I used 4 oz, S-glass on my last stripper. I cannot verify any weight savings yet, as I'm at the trim stage now.
I used thinner strips this time also.

Stripper guy has some great info on foam selection !

Jim

I am not a builder and don't have personal knowledge of the different foam core materials, but here is a technical article:

I also know that John Diller at Savage River builds 18+ foot racing canoes in the 20-26 lb. range in a variety of layups described on his web pages:

The detailed descriptions of his various layups suggest that Diller uses foam cores and ribs, but I don't see a statement about exactly what kind of foam he uses. One well-known marathon racer, Marc Gillespie, comments on one page that: "The foam core you use is far superior to the Hexcel, especially since it can be heated to regain its shape." I suppose you could just call Diller and inquire about what foam he uses.

Wenonah has used a lot of foam core in the interest of saving weight. I crunched one of their boats in a Class I rapid and was shocked at the amount of damage. You can build light boats or strong boats, but it is exceedingly difficult to build both at the same time.

Here is a link to the last foam core hull I made. The link may take a while to load. This is part 2 but shows how I did the foam. It will have links to part 1 and 3.

That boat ended up being super tough. I pinned it badly in limbs from a fallen tree in the river and the boat completely submerged. It took 5 or 6 of us to get it out and I fully expected it to break in half but fortunately it didn't. Minor damage all things considered.

Back