• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Fly Fishing From A Canoe

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"It’s most common to see pictures of fly fishermen standing characteristically waist-deep in a stream or river, but Ben Duchesney shares his opinion on expanding this art form to larger bodies of water by way of the canoe."

It’s a beautiful thing when it all works out. And you don't even have to catch a fish for it to all work out. It's satisfying to make the perfect drift of your boat combined with the perfect presentation of your fly. Eventually you'll get the fish.

Attachments

• 5C156D5F-45CC-4EA7-986A-54458A29FC26.png
    5C156D5F-45CC-4EA7-986A-54458A29FC26.png
    663 KB · Views: 10
  • F039DDDD-AA7D-4B68-9EEE-B0EE48C7B43C.jpeg
    F039DDDD-AA7D-4B68-9EEE-B0EE48C7B43C.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Worst comes to worst you can always troll a streamer fly, a proven method of catching fish. Slow paddle, easy conversation with a human or dog companion, what better way to spend time.

All my fly fishing from my canoe has been with top water poppers for bass, pickerel, etc. Until about a year ago I used a traditional rod & reel combo but last year I picked up a Tenkara rod and have used it with some success. I need to be a bit closer to the lily pads and structure but I've had a good time using it and there's less for me to mess up!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

The difference in my casting distance between standing and seated isn't enough to worry about. I tend to cast to either structure or rises, if I am too far to make the cast it's a simple thing to move. Top water poppers and small streamers have worked well on bass for me. Both dredging bottom highsticking or indicator fishing nymphs for trout in moving water has also worked really well. I haven't spent much time dry fly fishing for trout, always too busy catching fish with nymphs, but when done it's always been fun. I'm impatiently waiting for ice out to play with a short little 0 wt and some bluegill and bass.

Last spring I attended a 3 day flyfishing course in northern Maine. Unfortunately, I never really picked up the fly rod much after that, most of my fishing was with my grandson's pursuing bass with "ugly sticks and rubber worms" out of my square stern.

Last week I attended a sportsman's show and I got to talking with a guy in the Penobscot River Paddling Trail booth, https://www.penobscotriverpaddlingtrail.org/
I knew of the great smallmouth bass fishing in the river but his stories of floating a canoe downstream with a fly rod in pursuit of these fish really piqued my interest.
Looking forward to spring.

I do quite a bit of flyfishing from my canoe on local rivers. I usually drift slowly down the center of the river and alternate casts towards both banks. Sometimes I will land on a sandbar and do a little wet wading and stretch the legs. At the beginning of the season, I usually use an 8.5 or 9' 5 or 6 weight as I am using smaller flies....late in the season, I move up to an 8 weight as I am casting much larger flies. I am generally targeting smallmouth, but also catch a lot of big rock bass, the occasional largemouth, and when I break out the subsurface stuff, pick up some carp and channel catfish. A few years ago I was at Cabelas and stopped in their "bargain Cave" and found a 10', 8wt, Spey rod on clearance. It was light enough that I thought I could handle it one handed......It has worked out really well, especially when I am on big water up North throwing big flies for Northerns. The added length really helps, especially as the day wears on and my shoulder starts to get tired....I find I am less likely to drag the fly behind me on my backcast while seated in my canoe. I haven't tried standing in the canoe to cast yet.....If and when I get to the point where I want to stand, I would either try to fabricate or just break down and buy a set of outriggers from somewhere like Spring Creek Manufacturing. They are pricey, but I have been very impressed with their quality and customer service over the years with other items....

Mike

I forgot to mention….I also have one of those cheap little orange telescopic “ emergency” paddles that I leave collapsed by my feet….I can use it one handed to control my canoe and not have to set my rod down.

Mike

Back