• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Flip Flopping

Reaction score
Do you all flip flop on you plans as much as me? I am now back to a project that I was planning a few years ago, a pirogue. I went as far as buying glass and resin from Raka a couple years ago. I corresponded with my brother in Alabama who had built a few pirogues and jon boats from Uncle Johns plans or at least based on them. Somehow the project got pushed to the back burner when the shop was taken over building mountain dulcimers. Since then I built a couple hundred mostly travel sized dulcimers and shipped them all over the world. Lately I have flip flopped on a few boat projects that haven't gotten off the ground, but decided to finally build the pirogue.

I built the a seat, frames, and stems. I ordered plywood, and made and tested a scarfing attachment for the circular saw. I have not built a boat in quite a long time, but it looks like this project is finally happening after a long intermission.

Yes- Some of it is seasonal for me. It is easier to keep my small woodshop warm than the large garage with cement floors. Different interests and priorities, some not my own, sometimes dictate which project happens first. I can think of several off the top of my head that are a couple years out. Part of the enjoyment for me is just the planning and research. Some of those non canoe related projects also make me a better builder acquiring transposable shop skills. I would rather be relatively competent at many things than have a expertise in just one. So yes- I am a Flip Flopper.

Bob

Lots of flip flopping here too. Always seem to be jumping form one thing to the other as dictated by weather, supplies, and whims.

Haven't built a canoe in over 3 years. I had one in progress and the next day was going to have plans printed for the next build but suddenly came to an agreement to sell my house and shop out of the blue so I hurriedly knocked the in-progress canoe out and still haven't printed plans for that other one. Worked like crazy on remodeling the new house that summer (after finishing all the stuff in the house I was selling that had been uncompleted for 5 years) and then got distracted by a sawmill and many other projects, including building a new wood shop at my new house, and 3 years later am finally getting back to finishing the inside of that house remodel (finishing hardwood floors this week). Hoping to keep rolling on the exterior siding this summer but that will depend on whether or not something shiny distracts me, like a canoe trip.

Hope you finally get your pirogue done. Interesting looking boats.

Alan

Back