• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Flagstaff Lake, Maine

Reaction score
I'm looking at several possible destinations starting this mid-week. One is Flagstaff Lake in Maine. In the AMC Quiet Water Guide, it looks remote enough, but the Gazetteer makes it look like a cottage lake with a dozen boat launches. Can anyone offer insight into what kind of experience I might find there? Thanks.

Art

I camped on a beach, part of the MPRL, (B2, page 29-Gaz) at the end of Flagstaff Rd. It was days after ice out, and most of my paddling was hugging the shoreline around the island and nearby peninsula. I never saw a cabin, other boats or paddlers the 3 days I was there midweek. It definitely had that reservoir feeling as the water level was low and there were big beaches with stumps. I enjoyed my time there, worth the visit.DSC01025 - Copy.JPG

I don't recall many if any houses on Flagstaff Lake when I paddled it years ago. It was a much smaller lake until 1949 when its level was raised by the dam, submerging the village of Flagstaff under water. So, you could plan on bringing a snorkel and intentionally dumping for an unusual trip.

there are definitely camps on flagstaff, but its a HUGE lake. its been 30 years since I paddled it, but we drove up there on a rainy day this summer. its still as pretty as ever.

I camped on a beach, part of the MPRL, (B2, page 29-Gaz) at the end of Flagstaff Rd. It was days after ice out, and most of my paddling was hugging the shoreline around the island and nearby peninsula. I never saw a cabin, other boats or paddlers the 3 days I was there midweek. It definitely had that reservoir feeling as the water level was low and there were big beaches with stumps. I enjoyed my time there, worth the visit.View attachment 137541
Robin, was that at the end of Flagstaff Road or West Flagstaff Road?

Back