• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Fish guts

Reaction score
For those that enjoy fresh fish on the campfire on camping trips, what do you do with the fish guts?

I mostly camp in WI and regulations say you can’t deposit fish entrails back into the water. Other regulations say you can’t discard any refuse on state owned lands…which is pretty much all the campsites.

Seems the only ‘legal’ option is to pack fish guts out with you. I doubt anyone actually does that… carrying around fish guts in a plastic bag for days under the summer sun ain’t exactly an air freshener.

I wouldn't call fish guts "refuse, they're actually an important part of the ecosystem. Around here most dump them out in the middle of the lake, but I don't see why you can't just bury them away from any traffic where they can decompose and return their nutrients to the soil.

The title “fish guts” drew me in but my comments wont really add anything of value!
In Alaska i would assume we generate more fish guts than most regions due to the returning Salmon runs. In the fall the carcassas along any waterway can be staggering. The mouth of the Kenai river is the largest Dip net fishery in the state and thousands flock to the Kenai in June to dip fish. The state monitors the water quality and most years put’s out warnings about high Coliform bacteria numbers, and yet still advises folks to return the carcassas to the river.
I take a different approach, preferring to clean my fish at home where the cleanings can be rendered into gooey goodness which finds it’s way to the garden.

Attachments

• IMG_5933.jpeg
    IMG_5933.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 8
I don't fish at all and, as a freeze-dried food eater, don't generate much organic garbage. What little I do generate, I bury somwhere along the deserted shore away from campsites. That's where I prefer to bury my own waste, too, if the timing works out. I don't consider burying the same as discarding on the surface of land, although most organic garbage on deserted land surfaces would be eaten by critters and bugs pretty quickly in wet, forested regions.

Most of my trips are into the BWCA and Quetico, and the BW regs tell me to dispose of remains a minimum of 200' from the campsites. Used to be in the water. Unsure what the current regs are in Quetico as I have not been there since pre-pandemic.

Back