• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

First Solo

I am impressed with all the love and understanding that has been shown here.

Not having spent much time in the bush, Karin is scared of it in a general sense, the uncertainty of it, which is manifested as bearanoia. But really it is more about just not knowing what is out there and imagining things in the abscence of true knowledge. Manitoba is pretty tame, all things considered. Unless you go much further north. But thats not the point. It is dangerous in her mind. OK, so be it. We can work on that.

She is armed up with a small but non lethal array of bangers, flares, bear spray, paddles, and what not. I suppose the best idea is for us to keep tripping together. But if she wants to try to solo I will find ways to make her more comfortable. Perhaps a shared solo with separate camps so she has a fall back point. Safer areas that are devoid of bears. That sort of thing. Its all about confidence and comfort.

I keep telling her that I am probably the most dangerous thing she will encounter out there...lol.

Christy

Considering your new, permanent restrictions, you will need me to carry all the packs and canoes on every portage. ;)

I like the idea of a shared solo type of thing, but I still intend to get back out and give it a go alone. We shall see if I can pull something together for the week in August the plant is shut down.

I think its pretty human to be afraid of the unknown.. Look at all the people we all know who are afraid of any sort of canoeing!

Mihun, if by "shared solo" you mean two people in solo boats, such a trip adds another load to your portage carries.

As for fears, if they're systemic (what we might otherwise call pathological but without the dark connotations), I'm afraid I can't help you much. But if they're amenable to therapy, here's what I'd suggest (it's what I've done to overcome admittedly lesser fears): go out by yourself for 24 hours, which I believe is your current limit. Do it several times. Then try two nights, encompassing maybe 36 hours. If this works, you might be able to gradually extend your comfort zone to - can you imagine it? - a week.

I once was camped on an island in a fog so thick I couldn't see beyond arm's length. After dark fell (clunk) I heard a big splash that my primitive brain registered as a bear that fell down in the shoreline shallows. A little while later I heard it again. My back knotted up so badly I almost couldn't drive home the next day or sleep that night. It was so bad I had to see a massage therapist to restore it so something resembling normal. My inner therapy was to go back and do it again. That was about 12 years ago, and I've been happily tripping in the Boundary Waters since 2008.

PS: I suspect the bear was really a big fish.

The "unknown flower is a pink corydalis and it is found in rocky areas as well as burned over areas. We saw them all over the south and west of WCPP during our 2 week trip. Nice pic. I like this delicate flower. The pic of the canoe with the sky is especially good. You have a talent.

As for the bearanoia, it is completely unfounded, especially this year. In our 100 mile journey in the park this year we did not see one sign of a bear. No scat, no paw prints, nothing. Now you might see a bear in Nopiming or Atikaki, but as far as I know there have been no problem bears. I feel for all of the animals this year, even bears, with the brutal winter followed by the buggiest year in recent memory. If a bear came to your tent it would probably be to get away from the mosquitos and flies.

How about the rain too. Last day of 12 off and I saw the sun for 4 of that. Western side of the province is under water. It is good to keep forest fires at bay and the rivers and lakes up, but c'mon, after the Winter we had!

No Title

Oh, I see I can upload photos now. This is something good from rain, a rainbow again on Haven Lake.
The gull jumping onto the chimney stone while a fire is going is quite bizarre. This was on Adventure Lake.

Attachments

• photo572.jpg
    photo572.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo573.jpg
    photo573.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 0
No Title

Thanks YC. AS I was watching and photographing this cheeky gull I was imagining it was from Galveston and used to people. Couldn't believe that it jumped onto the back of a lit fire pit. I felt bad for it and hoped that it was ok. These are the sequence of pics following the already posted one.

Attachments

• photo575.jpg
    photo575.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 0
  • photo577.jpg
    photo577.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo576.jpg
    photo576.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo578.jpg
    photo578.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 0
No Title

The pics are out of order, but you get the idea. Here are a few more from the trip.

Attachments

• photo579.jpg
    photo579.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo580.jpg
    photo580.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo581.jpg
    photo581.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo582.jpg
    photo582.jpg