• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

First Solo

Don't waste your money on Exped. You don't need the insulation unless you're winter camping. If you think you do, you can just bring along a shorty closed-cell foam pad or a second (lightweight, like 1.5 lb) sleeping bag.

I need a wider air mattress so I got a 26" REI Stratus
http://www.rei.com/product/870758/rei-stratus-insulated-air-sleeping-pad.
I also have a couple of 20" Big Agnes Air Core pads
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/AirCore.
Both of them inflate using a Big Agnes Pumphouse
http://www.rei.com/product/846714/big-agnes-pumphouse-pad-pump-dry-sack.

No more hyperventilation!

Don't waste your money on Exped. You don't need the insulation unless you're winter camping. If you think you do, you can just bring along a shorty closed-cell foam pad or a second (lightweight, like 1.5 lb) sleeping bag.

Ya you do. Damp ground takes a lot of heat away as in the moss covered areas of the boreal forest. Reminds me.. I have two BA pads I hate. I am willing to part with them for free locally. One is shortie and the other full length ..both 20 inches wide.The valve design is prone to leaks and its a area that is very difficult to fix properly. Sleeping bags provide no bottom insulation..so I wonder where you got that idea.

Ya you do. Damp ground takes a lot of heat away as in the moss covered areas of the boreal forest. Reminds me.. I have two BA pads I hate. I am willing to part with them for free locally. One is shortie and the other full length ..both 20 inches wide.The valve design is prone to leaks and its a area that is very difficult to fix properly. Sleeping bags provide no bottom insulation..so I wonder where you got that idea.

Exped bag do not require mouth to mouth..as a matter of fact that is discouraged.

Ya you do. [Need insulation in an air mattress.] Damp ground takes a lot of heat away as in the moss covered areas of the boreal forest. Reminds me.. I have two BA pads I hate. I am willing to part with them for free locally. One is shortie and the other full length ..both 20 inches wide.The valve design is prone to leaks and its a area that is very difficult to fix properly. Sleeping bags provide no bottom insulation..so I wonder where you got that idea.

Exped bag do not require mouth to mouth..as a matter of fact that is discouraged.

No, I don't need insulation with an air mattress. But then I haven't camped when it's been colder than about 20*-25*.
I got the idea about sleeping bags offering bottom insulation after doing what I suggested - regularly. Works for me, and I imagine it depends on the material involved.

Just air would get cold, it can get down close to freezing here even in August and we do trip with snow on the ground. I get cold really easy and I need a wider pad since I move around alot in sleep, or what I call sleep. It is easy to roll off a smaller pad. Better thickness might mean less movement trying to get comfy too and you really cannot beat how small they pack. The Synmat video I watched showed it being even easier to inflate than the Downmat.

Opinions won't be quashed on this thread. Have at 'er.

Just air would get cold, it can get down close to freezing here even in August and we do trip with snow on the ground. I get cold really easy and I need a wider pad since I move around alot in sleep, or what I call sleep. It is easy to roll off a smaller pad. Better thickness might mean less movement trying to get comfy too and you really cannot beat how small they pack. The Synmat video I watched showed it being even easier to inflate than the Downmat.

Opinions won't be quashed on this thread. Have at 'er.
It's not opinion. It's science. Insulation needs dead air space to work. If you squash on top of a sleeping bag, you squash all the dead air spaces into oblvion.
Insulated backpacking mattresses keep the insulation lofted.

If sleeping bags insulated so well from the bottom, hammockers would not be making underquilts to avoid cold behinds.

Well, for what's it worth; you might try a Thermo-a-Rest LuxuryLite Mesh cot. It would get you up off the ground, cradles you from side to side, soooo soft, and acts to trap the pad underneath you.
It's used by that noted and admired outdoors man, Memaquay (and a few old wheezing geezers).

Best Wishes, Rob

I have seen and felt the Neo Airs at Campmor (New Jersey) and read a little about them. They seem to suffer all along from being noisy.. crinkly when you roll over. They felt flimsy (they are not) and some folks can't get used to the crossways tube construction.

I have one of those Neo Air pads...switched to it a few years ago as I was gradually replacing and upgrading all of my ancient gear.
I hear a lot of talk about noise with these pads, always second hand! I will say that my hearing is still firmly intact and the pad is no louder than my mattress at home.
It is very comfortable, and also provides great insulation. I have yet to use it at temps below 15F, but so far, it's been great. And the packed volume and weight is nearly nonexistent....I better stop now, I sound too much like a salesman!

Didn't Mem get his for Christmas? He likely hasn't put it to use yet. We did look at those in Cabela's, Christine was keenly interested in cots at the time, and I believe the downside to them is the plastic hoops at the sides the rods go into, they look cheesy and likely to break over time without a MacGyver way to fix them out in the bush. I'm really not keen on anything plastic.
You have used yours a lot OM, how does it work on uneven ground? Flat spots are sorely lacking in the Boreal.

A Neo-Air in large format runs from $120 to $175 depending on model up here in case anyone was wondering.

Winnipeg being the center of Canada but also the middle of nowhere. :)

I picked up a Neoair at Campmor this last winter.They have changed the material and it's much nicer, less plastic like. I got one for Judi last year and even though she covets mine, it really is not loud, even though it seems like it would be out of the package.

Hi Mihun, About those plastic loops: there's plastic and then there's plastic. I suspect that the loops are made of the more durable kind of plastic, which can be amazingly tough. As I see it, the real danger is when you come to assemble the loops and cross metal rods. If you get the end of the aluminum rod all the way into the socket in the loop all will be well; if not, all kinds of bad things can happen. The good news is that it's easy to tell if all of the rod ends have gone home; once you have a section (two loops and four rods) assembled, just check the center of the rods, if there's a gap that means that at least one rod isn't all the way into the socket.

Now, about the uneven ground: they had to make the cot to accept some flex but how much is too much? Well, trying to come up with some rule of thumb: After trying to pick the best spot to sleep, set the cot up and lay on it gently, if the center section (my heaviest part) still had some bounce to it I'd see what I could use to shim it up. I wouldn't want to ask the cot to act as a bridge with my weight all night long.

I know it sounds like I'm being awfully tender with the cot but the dang thing cost so much! And it's not built like those tough army cots (which I would never in the world try to pack along) but because it's so light and little packed up, I can easily justify bringing it and I'm willing to be more careful with it.

I guess too, that having really enjoyed sleeping on it, I'm ready to go the extra bit in it's care. It's true, I'm turning into a sissy, but if I can't sleep then a trip will rapidly become something to be endured rather than enjoyed.

Best Wishes, Rob

I tried my cot winter camping this year. The "ground" was a bunch of spruce boughs sitting on top of three feet of snow. It was quite uneven, but the cot conformed very nicely. I had a great sleep. I will be giving it extensive testing this year, 10 day trip in June, 8-10 day solo in July and a six day trip in August. I'll be taking my wife out quite a bit this summer too, as she is taking the summer off, but we usually use a very big inflatable when she comes along.

I have my worries about it's durability too, should know by the end of summer.

First solo trip I went on was a wash out... literally. It rained hard! The one thing I pulled from that experience was how much more time and effort it took to get camp set up. When tandem, one collects firewood and the other sets up the tarp and tent. It was dark by the time I was all set up!

Now I stop to set up camp earlier than I would if out with a partner. Probably obvious to most. It wasn't something I had considered though.

The trip didn't work out so well. It was planned to be 4 nights, 5 days roughly with my going up the Rabbit River into Cole Lake and back out. The forecast wasn't horrible but not too enticing with the possibility of 3 days rain and overnight temperatures possibly as low as 7c (44f). Despite my best efforts there was no way in heck I was going to be able to pack light. Everything we own is bulky. Bulky is heavy too. So it actually worked out to two packs and the 60L barrel. Christine usually does the cooking/menu for our trips so I asked her to set mine up, which required the larger barrel.

Sunday morning I drove up to the Rabbit River, stuffed the 14 foot Chestnut with gear and started upstream into the wind on a River I have never been on before. Within a half hour both shoulders were clicking and clacking away although no real muscle pain yet, just noisy. I worked my way upriver, past the first portage and through the windy river sections, by the time I reached the second port, I knew my shoulders weren't going to get me to Cole Lake that day. I should have checked the time as I felt it was later than actual, but at that point I turned around and headed back down to the first wide point in the River with the intention of camping there.

I got back down there and actually set up camp, despite the over active imagination running wild and my mild psychosis starting to dig in. I sat and watched the weather and almost had myself talked into staying one night, but after awhile I packed up again and headed back to the truck, having failed miserably on my first solo attempt. I have no problem on the water, it is when I get on land I get the willies.

It wasn't a total waste of time, I did get to see 3 moose that morning and have about a 10km paddle and met some nice people along the way.

Once back home 13 hours after I had left (it is 202km one way to the River), Christine was at first not very supportive, but she grew up in the woods whereas I grew up in Southern Ontario (Toronto) and she doesn't have all my mental health issues either.

However, since she had approval from her doctor for small trips, nothing more than 24 hours away from medical help, she decided to get me back out in the bush before I packed it in entirely forever, which is where my mind was at Sunday evening.

Wednesday morning we were once again headed to the Rabbit River, this time with the kevlar Mattawa and a altered trip plan. Just off the main river is a side river with a lake, no portaging required and we headed in there for an over nighter. We arrived on the 5th straight day of an east wind (anglers will know what that is about), paddled about 3km from the parking area and set up on a nice point at the far end of the lake adjacent to the inflow creek.

We paddled up that creek exploring and found a nice little but deep lake above a small beaver dam. The fish weren't biting under the hot sun and east wind but it was pretty cool exploring and trying to find the creek inflow up there.

Most of the day was spent lounging and the evening fishing, we did catch small Pike and Pickerel but the lunkers were hiding. As night approached I started getting the usual nervousness, but Melatonin allowed me a good nights sleep, and the Grandfathers were looking over us as well after Christine had made an offering to them earlier.

Thursday morning we slept in, packed up slowly and explored and fished our way out, with yet another day of east wind.

In the time I had to think about it on those two days, I really need to suck it up and not allow my issues to keep me from getting out into the Wilderness. I will see about getting back on my meds and plan another solo trip for later this Summer, likely just an overnight trip to that same river again.

Some photo's...

Very nice orchid.. Some of us when solo have had to alter plans. Last summer I did..At first I felt like a failure but later all I remember is how nice the shortened trip was.

Sometimes journaling helps to find what our heebie jeebies are or to make us remember what did not work for us.

Glad Christy is out on the water! That must be a big high note for both of you!

Sometimes when I'm out alone I get the same doubts and start thinking about takeing the quickest way out. I have cut trips short too, and not only because of weather.
Being alone can get a person to spend alot of time thinking rather than doing, and when it's really quiet every sound in the bush is danger, when it's almost always a chippy, mouse or small bird....

but what if it's a bear?
Maybe I shouldn't have cooked that fish here, a bear probably smelled it and is headed this way, maybe a mother with cubs, maybe an injured bear, maybe an old bear, maybe a crazy bear....
maybe the crazy trapper from the north is coming to my site tonight!

Last year I was camped on a lake in LaVerendrye, solo. It was raining and a storm was coming in, the wind picked up and lightning was headed my way. Sitting under my tarp watching the fire, I was surprised by a man behind me. He had parked his canoe around the lee side of the point I was on and walked in quietly. I was surprised and really caught off guard, he must have noticed he startled me cause his face broke out in a really nice smile and he said some greeting in French.
I spoke English and he quickly explained in English that his wife and son where in the canoe and he asked if they could sit out the storm with me.
Later, after they said their farewells (very nice family) I thought about how close that man got to me before I even knew he was there. Had he intended me harm, I would have been in a bad way. If I remember correctly, I began thinking out all sorts of horrible things that could have happened. My mind was turning a very nice encounter with 3 nice people into a nightmare.
I think a solo tripper has to be really careful about letting the mind wander too much. Staring into a fire is good for the soul, but thinking bad thoughts while doing it can have some serious side effects.

When my truck makes a funny sound, I turn the radio up. When it's time for bed when solo tripping, I put ear plugs in. Go figure, if you can't hear it, it ain't there. Think I'll head out in a week or two for a few days, need to have some silence after all those noisy kids.

I did get to see 3 moose that morning and have about a 10km paddle and met some nice people along the way.

URL=http://s1182.photobucket.com/user/Mihun09/media/Paddling%202014/Rabbit%20River/June25SunsetRabbitLake_zpsbaedb7b4.jpg.html]
June25SunsetRabbitLake_zpsbaedb7b4.jpg
[/URL]

Your first solo trip was worth the drive just for the quoted line above! Congrats on trying for the 5 day trip. I think the idle time is the biggest risk on a solo trip if your mind wanders the wrong way! I find I need to keep moving or I get restless. Make for longer days of travel but I do sleep better!

Great news that you both got to return to do the upper lake, I so want to return to see that part of the route. Hope you will be posting more pictures from your adventures! Great picture too of the sunset! I hope you dont mind if I make a copy for my tripping file!

I took more photo's and played around with settings a fair bit, I only edited these 5 though. I love sunsets and sat out until it was fully behind the clouds before watching the rest of it from the safety of the tent.

Sure, use the photo.

The water is high enough that we could paddle over the beaver dam at the entrance, I would imagine most of the ports would be paddle-able upstream even at the moment and with up to another 4 inches of rain forecast for this weekend, it can only go up.

I have another week off the first week of August and although we are heading to Geraldton to pick up a couple of canoes, I might try to get in at least a solo overnighter before that week is out. Once I get past the bearanoia, I should be better.

So that is an Orchid is it? They were growing everywhere, even out on the rock islands. Haven't done much in the way of flower pictures before but had the time so gave it a shot. That was the best of the 3.

I imagine having someone sneak up on you like that Robin must have been a bit unnerving.

Mem, if you keep making posts like that you're reputation might suffer a bit.

The only wildlife we saw was a Mink on the road in. Have not even seen an eagle yet and we usually see those every trip.

Back