• Happy There's Nothing Like a Dame Day! 👩🏼‍🦳👗👙🎦

First Paddle of 2014- Jones Road Hwy 671 North of Kenora- April 26-14

Reaction score
Keewaydin 15 --- First Paddle

Not really a trip report as I was still iced in for crossing any distance but still a fine day out with the new canoe. Just had to share a few pics to get the season started.

Apr26-14031_zpsd0a13e87.jpg

Apr26-14046_zpsb47754cd.jpg

Apr26-14058_zps8f006d8d.jpg

Tried for a weekend adventure just North of Kenora on Jones Road but had a bit of a realty check when all the lakes were still ice covered and most of the trails were still under two feet of snow and slush. The main roads were exposed gravel and were very soft with the melt starting. Access was going to be very limited at this time! Lucky for me there was some open water on both side of the main bridge to play in. So after a few hours of scouting for open water I was back at the bridge and ready to play.

Apr26-14063_zps8412f102.jpg

Apr26-14066_zps48c670cb.jpg

Apr26-14072_zpsf8278429.jpg

Apr26-14076_zps9648e638.jpg

Apr26-14135_zpse7d2284e.jpg

Apr26-14184_zpse1c5a342.jpg

Apr26-14224_zpsa7b1a1dc.jpg

Apr26-14203_zpsb0780632.jpg

I did scare afew of the neighbours during my travels but I sure they will get used to me real soon!

Apr26-14235_zps73f40a88.jpg

Apr26-14121-1_zps1640007b.jpg

Apr26-14126_zpsb114574f.jpg

A few promo pics of the new Swift Keewaydin 15 Pack boat. This thing handled the moving water like it was standing still and this thing moves with speed! Going to be real easy to move against the current and winds. We had gust up to 25km/hr and it will move the boat but I can still manover nicely. I like it!

Apr26-14151_zps54ec1edd.jpg

Apr26-14090_zps5e96c05f.jpg

Apr26-14103_zps4b58af7c.jpg

Apr26-14084_zps0b00e090.jpg

Was going to paddle up to these falls but with two lake covered in ice between me and them I decided for the short hike in instead. Will be back later to do this by the water route. Crazy amount of flow right now so may wait for it to settle down first!

Apr26-14260_zps44b45e52.jpg

Apr26-14246_zpsef72d5e1.jpg

All in all a great day to be out regardless of having very little water to play on!

WOW. I am very, very jealous of your canoe. I just needed to get that off my chest.

I'm surprised how much open water you found there. I guess the snow's going fast. I wonder what those roads will look like in a couple weeks?

It looks beautiful there. Are you planning a route from that put in?

WOW. I am very, very jealous of your canoe. I just needed to get that off my chest.

I'm surprised how much open water you found there. I guess the snow's going fast. I wonder what those roads will look like in a couple weeks?

It looks beautiful there. Are you planning a route from that put in?

Thanks for the comment on the canoe. I think I am going to be Very happy with this one! :D I was lucky to find enough open water to get 5-6km of laps in. Would have liked to have an open lake but will need to wait a few weeks for that. The roads were crazy wet and I had my tires sinking to the rims in some of the softer trails. That will only get better with time!

It is a great area to paddle and I have a huge amount of ideas for routes in the area and just North of here. The whole North of Kenora and ELA areas are a dream for canoeing. I have a collection of route ideas like the one posted below... The pictures from yesterday were from the lower left of this route map where the blue and yellow lines meet. Just google Silver Lake and you will be in the neighbourhood.

WolftoBeachandSilverreturnandLink_zpse727cfac.jpg

Beautiful canoe and pictures to match. That picture (#10 after the bridge) looking upstream (?) is nice, along with the last picture, I can see why you think so higly of the area. Lucky You for such a nice place to paddle nearby.
Thanks for sharing and I'm really looking forward to hearing about your adventures there with your new canoes.

Beautiful canoe and pictures to match. That picture (#10 after the bridge) looking upstream (?) is nice, along with the last picture, I can see why you think so higly of the area. Lucky You for such a nice place to paddle nearby.
Thanks for sharing and I'm really looking forward to hearing about your adventures there with your new canoes.

Thanks, The upstream stuff was still iced in quite a bit but hopefully in a few more weeks I can start going down the lakes. This is just the roadside stuff so the nice areas are just a little farther in ;). I think its going to be a good year for photo's now that I have the new canoe! I will keep you all posted as the trips happen and hope to include directions/maps to most of the routes if they become possible. Going to be fun!

Back