• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Fire Making.

Fire making is an art that can save your life. In the Northwoods it is a traditional way to cook. In the West fires are not allowed part of the year. A lot of people are not in the habit of building fires. I think they are an important skill and I like to build fires. Small ones I can cook with and get next to. The first thing I do when I see a large fire ring is get rid of half of it and scatter it in the woods. The stove only crowd seems to forget about the metals that have to be mined to build a stove, fuel that has to be extracted and refined and then transported. Then there is the question of container disposal. Wood is carbon neutral.

We only cook on fire while in the bush. Don’t even bring a camp stove anymore! We use different kind of fire holding implements if I can say so, most of the time we carry a fire box that have a double bottom so to not scorch the ground, it uses less wood and keep the flame/heat under the pots and pans even in windy conditions. We also use twig stove and jelly kettles! When making open fire they are small!
a few years back I made what I call fire pouches for family and friends you have everything you need to start a fire in pretty much any conditions, my favorite piece in there is what my wife named the wicked wick, she makes them with her outdoor ed students, I got the idea a while back from HOOP at wintertrekkkng.com jute twine soaked in paraffine wax and then shoved into a piece of brake line tubing as a holder!! That thing is magic!!

Last edited:
Looking forward to making a Swedish fire torch this summer with the Firebox Stove Nano I have on order. No different size twigs or kindling. Just four vertical pieces of split wood and some tinder in the middle. Lasts up to an hour, and then can be fed with larger twigs from the side.

The Nano now comes in an aluminum X-case that be used for ground protection underneath it and carbon felt for a windscreen, all at 9 oz for the stainless steel kit or 6 oz for titanium.

Back