• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

Finger-jointed pine

Reaction score
Could I use finger-jointed pine for building stripper? I could get it cheap from local company's surplus. It is 20mm X 6mm x 6000mm strips so it would be ready for routing.

Yes you could! For my second canoe, I bought pre-made cedar strips that were all finger jointed. Worked great. I have built many canoes out of pine, only down side is it will add weight. On a 16 foot boat, usually ten pounds or more.

be very careful with that fingerjoint! there are about a half- dozen grades, and some of them are very poor for use for anything but trim. depending on the original grade, depth of the fingers, and type of glue it can range from very stiff and brittle to somewhat elastic and flexable.
Here's a quick primer- http://cwc.ca/wood-products/lumber/finger-joined/

The strip size will certainly work, the finger joints and any subsequent skarfing to length, aren't structural joints, so as long as they stay together it is all good.

Pine density can vary quite a bit, extra ponds on the boat is a given, but how much could be from a few pounds to as much as Mem is saying. Also consider the quality of the material, is a better wood or just shipping quality .... the lower the quality, the harder it will be to work with ... since this is one of the first decisions affecting the build and it is not really reversible after you start, make sure your source material is "up to snuff" .... this is best done before you start.

Brian

The Finger-joints are stronger than actual wood, so if I bend it, it will broke next to joint. Canoe I made at summer was very heavy, I think 70-100 pound. I can barely lift it to my shoulders. So anything is better than that. It's good canoe though.
Well back to Finger-jointed pine strips, The strips are planed each side and there is none variety in the strips, I mean the thickness tolerance is very good.
I think the finger-jointed strips would be more light because of there is no knots.

Back