• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Finding a Solo Boat For Buffalo Bob.

Hey Bob. How big are you? What do you want to use the boat for? The Indy and Starfire are way different. The Starfire is a tandem that is fun (and stable and comfortable) solo - on ponds, or going downstream. It does not work nearly as well driving upstream or against the wind as an Indy or just about any other true solo boat. The Starfire is a great solo for a really big guy...like a 300 pound guy...but even still it would be a handful driving against current or crossing a lake with big wind. You will see it is rated to take 500 pounds comfortably, which would sink an Indy. There are a lot of choices out there beyond the very few discussed on this thread. I love Starfires but if you are looking for a turny lightweight solo I'd point you first towards a Wildfire...or maybe even a Flashfire if you are not too big for it. The Indy is also a very nice boat...and there are lots of great boats available. I've got 5 real solos and I would like to have a Starfire (and I used to babysit one for a friend), it would only go out occasionally...on calm days when I just want to putter around. Starfire is a top choice for tandem freestyle which Wildfire and Flashfire are great solo freestyle boats.

I am 6'-1" and 200 lbs, 37 inch long arm inseam. Wanting the boat for playing around with heeling and paddling Canadian style, maybe trying a little freestyle stuff. Have handful of kevlar lightweight solos that like to go straight. C-1 by Wenonah, Vagabond by Wenonah and Northstar Magic and a Bell Nortrhwind tandem.

Are you perhaps considering that one in Essex Junction? $1250 vs. $3295, hmmm. Decisions decisions..There seem to be plenty of nice used boats on CL lately, prices are reasonable too. If I were you and didn't paddle a particular boat before buying it new, I would buy used and sell it if i didn't like it.

This is where I got the Indy specs, He also has a review. Click on the canoeing link at top of page, and then scroll down on left side to Boats. I especially enjoy reading about the modification to his Prism, someday when I get motivated, I may customize mine.

Last edited:
I am 6'-1" and 200 lbs, 37 inch long arm inseam. Wanting the boat for playing around with heeling and paddling Canadian style, maybe trying a little freestyle stuff. Have handful of kevlar lightweight solos that like to go straight. C-1 by Wenonah, Vagabond by Wenonah and Northstar Magic and a Bell Nortrhwind tandem.

I've never paddled an Independence, but if the codabone site is correct and it's a little brother of the Malecite, I do have an opinion on the Malecite. To me, the Malecite is more toward the straight tracking side of the scale than the turnability side. I rejected the Malecite as a solo canoe around 1990 specifically because it wasn't turnable enough for my taste.

While you can freestyle paddle any canoe, I've never seen the Independence as anyone's first choice in competitions. The Fire boats are.

Since you have straight tracking solos, I think the Wildfire or Starfire would be very good choices as turnable/freestyle canoes. You are at a size where you could probably enjoy either one. It would certainly behoove you to try both out and decide for yourself based on actual experience. My preference, which may not be yours, would be for the Wildfire if I were using it primarily as a day paddling boat with little additional gear, which is what in fact I use my Bell Wildfire for.

Weight is another factor. You can probably get a new skin coat Wildfire with infused gunwales under 30 lbs. from Colden. A Starfire would probably be at least 10 pounds more. Paul Meyer can tell you. He's easy to talk to and no pressure.

Yeah, I'll ask Paul Meyer again about the Wildfire. I am talking with him again tomorrow about which canoe I want him to build me. I was thinking I'd like the Wildfire too but he said with confidence that the Starfire was the choice. Decisions, decisions. Anyone have experience with Mad River Pearl KE solo canoe?. Found one in Kevlar at 26 lbs. Looks narrow and tippy. Maybe similar to a Pat Moore Proem? [h=2][/h]

Last edited:
Bell Wildfire fits me perfectly at 6' and 215 pounds. Was looking at the differance between a Bell Star fire and Bell Star fire last night. Just put the new that's in the Star fire and put it in the rack above the Wildfire. Star fire is significantly wider ad will have a lot more skin friction.

White Canoe is Starfire. Black canoe is Wildfire. Today was wash canoe day so while they were out took a couple of snap shots to show the difference.

Attachments

• DSC04948.JPG
    DSC04948.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC04939.JPG
    DSC04939.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back