• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Fall Whitewater Weekend on Tohickon Creek in Eastern PA

Reaction score
If you're in or near Eastern PA this weekend and care to play in class 3-4 rapids, I ran across this article today. Weather looks to be cooperative.

The Tohickon Creek fall release has been going on for at least 40 years. It used to be our club's last scheduled class 3 dam realease run of the season. My recollection is of very cold temperatures and several nice ledge drops. I met Charlie Waldbridge paddling by himself there in the mid-80's in a big C1, and poling expert Harry Rock in a Kevlar Mad River Explorer going over those ledges standing up.

I also remember in 1983 when NBC news anchor Jessica Savitch a week earlier had died in a car that flipped into the Delaware canal a few miles downstream from the confluence with the Tohickon. Several of us drove down to see the spot of her drowning.

Here's another video of canoes running the creek:

The release is twice a year in non-covid times. This thread is titled "bi-annual" but the event is actually "semi-annual".

Releases are historically scheduled on a semi-annual basis, usually on the third weekend in March and the first weekend in November, to create the whitewater experiences.

"Biannual" is ambiguous but not wrong according to some authorities. It can mean either "semiannual" (twice a year} or "biennial" (once every other year). I skipped the whole issue in my edit of the title.

Back