• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

External Bullnose router bits for paddle shafts

Reaction score
I’m considering giving one a try to cut down on shaping time and to hopefully get a more consistent shaft diameter through its main section. I’ve found an 1 1/4” bit that I’d use to make an oval shaft about 1 1/4 x 1 1 1/8” for 40$, so it’s a small investment. Has anyone here tried using an external bullnose router bit to shape their paddle shafts? Any tricks or jigs that you use?
Thanks,
Rubby

12D3F0FD-452D-4A2D-BCE7-484D98FB081F.png

I use the corner rounding version and like it for the ability to cut an oval shaft; something more difficult with the full bullnose cutter. Of course, im running it in a vertical milling machine, (upside down router?) which is probably a little different.
Shown here roughing a foam paddle shaft, the cutter was an Amazon thing.

Attachments

• 0A4A38A1-5D7E-420C-819A-DEE19701725F.jpeg
    0A4A38A1-5D7E-420C-819A-DEE19701725F.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I've used 1/2" roundover bits in a router table for shaping things like thwarts. Cut one side and then flip to cut the other. It's never a perfect match but doesn't take much sanding to even it out. I don't see why a bullnose bit wouldn't work as long as it gave you the shape you wanted.

Alan

Hey, I’ve done the round over bit to rough shape and the problem I find is that after you round over the first 1/4 of material the guide bearing doesn‘t have any material to follow (if you are trying to get the full radius of the knife) for the second half, working on the flat axis of the paddle, so either the bit cuts too deep or your free handing it. Don’t know if that makes sense?
I’m thinking Its gonna take some kind of jig to prevent the bullnose bit from over cutting as well.
Im beginning to visualize some flaws in using the bullnose bit for the oval shafts,

Last edited:
Back