• Happy National Acadian Day!

Esquif PROSPECTEUR 15 specs?

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Strange that Esquif doesn't list bow and stern heights in their canoe specs. You could call a dealer who has the Prospecteur 15 in stock and ask them to measure, such as this dealer:

Reaction score
Just an impression. I have seen those models around but never thought about shear height at stems.. For sure they are higher than Wenonah and Chestnut but not horridly schnoz like.

Reaction score
How did I miss this thread for so long? I just measured my P15, and got 21.5 inches for the stem height.

It is a very dry boat in Class II rapids with 2 foot waves, and still maneuvers easily. It appears capable of taking a good sized payload. I would not hesitate to take this canoe on an extended Class II-III trip. I chose it over the Pocket Canyon because it is a more general purpose touring canoe versus a whitewater play boat. At 15 ft LOA and 36" beam, it will not break any speed records. The P15 can serve as either a small tandem for short trips, or as a high volume solo boat.

The biggest negative is that the canoe tends to get blown around by crosswinds when I paddle solo on flat water. Most likely this would not be a problem with a load, and I am still experimenting with seating position and trim.

Reaction score
Thank you for measuring. My first canoe was a Wenonah Prospector 16 with 25 inch bow and stern height. I soloed it for years with no more issues in the wind than my B16 with 21 inch Bow. I would prefer it had 24 inch bow and stern heights like the Wenonah Prospector 15, but I like that they kept the width the same at 35 inches where as I don't like the wider 37 inch Wenonah prospector. I ended up finding an OT Camper 15 which kept the 36 inch width with 22 inch bow. I know it has a flat bottom, but I love it. I can pole it, solo it, and it works great for me in light rapids.