• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

epoxy >?

Pat

Reaction score
Some may remember I started my first canoe last year. I fiber glassed the outside in October. Unrelated to that but I became sick and other things so was unable to do any more. I am now able8 months later to start back. I notice that the fiber glass is still visible in several places. I was thinking sand with 80 grit to rough it up and put on another coat? Any opinions or advise? Thank you.

Can you show pics of the glass ?
I'll try to get it to show on a picture. But you have to look close to see it. It is like the epoxy was layer is not thick enough. Some of the canoe is smooth as glass and other places you can feel and see the texture of the glass.

Here is a couple pictures

Attachments

• fiberglass.jpg
    fiberglass.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 17
  • fiberglass 2.jpg
    fiberglass 2.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 17
You just need to fill the weave of the glass with more epoxy. It is often or usually impossible to achieve a completely smooth surface in one go because the fibers will swell as the take up the resin.

You just need to fill the weave of the glass with more epoxy. It is often or usually impossible to achieve a completely smooth surface in one go because the fibers will swell as the take up the resin.
That is 3 coats. Because it has been 8 months another coat would need to be mechanical bond and need sanding to achieve this. Correct?

I would probably wet sand it with some pretty fine wet or dry paper, maybe around 320 grit or so. Make sure you get all the sanding dust washed and scrubbed off before you apply more epoxy.

Yes, sand lightly, 80 grit. I would dry sand, wet sanding is more for a finer finish. You just want to create "Tooth " for the new epoxy to bond to.
I use air pressure to blow out any dust that collects in little holes of the weave.

Flat areas are easier to fill the weave.
If that is your case, you shouldn't harm the cloth on the bottom, with sanding.
The vertical areas are likely more probmatic.

Good luck !
Let us know how it works out !

Jim

How did you apply the epoxy Pat ?

I would use a foam roller to apply.

I might add , if I may, I do not like using water for cleaning a composite surface prior to re-coating as it is too easy for moisture to get trapped in some pocket or fabric. As mentioned, If I have to use anything wet at all it is acetone to clean the surface, in this case, and mostly just use clean, dry air .

How did you apply the epoxy Pat ?

I would use a foam roller to apply.
I used a bando spreader for the first coat and foam rollers for the second and third. I guess I was just not getting enough down on the second and third coat. I should mention that the glass is 2 layers on the football down to a couple inches past waterline.

Does this look to be good or should I sand it a little more. The vertical strips are from the shop vac hose.sand3.jpgsand2.jpg

Back