• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Elasticity

Reaction score
Since before my recent surgery, I’ve migrated to elastic waistbands exclusively. I’m thinking of giving up button pants altogether, although the wife and friends don’t support such a change. Anyone know of a source for no-button canoe pants?

I wear hospital scrubs a lot around the house, around town and canoeing. They are very inexpensive and comfortable with elastic waists. Some have front draw strings, others have belt loops also. Some have cargo pockets. Much variety in features and colors. Khaki and gray ones can pass for normal pants.

After a recent back injury I was unable to use a belt to hold my pants up for almost a year because it put pressure on a nerve. I went with suspenders to solve the problem, maybe they'll work for you. Otherwise I've used and liked Perigis canoe pants that had a partial elastic waist(and a button) but I'm not sure if they will keep your pants up during the rigors of a canoe trip. Maybe a combination of elastic waist and suspenders will do it for you.

Since before my recent surgery, I’ve migrated to elastic waistbands exclusively. I’m thinking of giving up button pants altogether, although the wife and friends don’t support such a change. Anyone know of a source for no-button canoe pants?
Try a pair of Grammici Climbing pats. They come with a zipper, button, and belt. There was a non-zip button also. Not sure about now. Nice cotton twill that sticks to the seat better than synthetics. I have 2 pair that are 8-10 years old. I think Moosejaw has them.

Bibs.

Not specifically pants per your original question, but an alternative possibility.
I find them extremely comfortable and less binding in critical areas when not standing.

Plenty of choices in fabrics, weights, etc. for winter or summer.
You can wear them with or without a shirt when its hot.
You can cut them off if needed for shorts.

Bill

Al, I wear them a lot for canoeing. They are the most comfortable pants I own with a button. They just don’t stay up well without a belt. I’ve used belt suspenders, but those take a belt.

Do you have to sew buttons into all your pants to use suspenders? The clamp ones don’t stay attached. I have used belt suspenders for a long time, hunting mostly. I’m going to check into bibs. Seems like a good solution if the fabric is right.

Last edited:
I have clamp type suspenders and they can come loose. I clip them to a belt loop or even my belt for good results. I recently got a pair from Duluth Pack and they seem much more secure. I wear a belt loosely with the suspenders on a trip. I put my bear spray and or sidearm on it and it's a good thing to put your belt knife on if you carry one.

Bibs would work too. One benefit of bibs and suspenders is that they don't restrict your breathing like a tight belt can, especially if you are bent over. That probably contributes to the number of people that have heart attacks shoveling snow.

If you decide to go the way of the suspenders, then get heavy-duty ones such as firemen's or logger's and expect to pay more than for regular chain store suspenders. I have never had problems with quality suspenders using the clip grips.
G.

I have those Dickie suspenders and like other suspenders I've had they loosen up over time and need to be readjusted throughout the day. I fixed this by putting a pin through the fabric to prevent it. The Duluth Pac suspenders I recently got don't seem to have this problem, but they were expensive. I did like the plastic hooks on the Dickies that hook onto the belt because it made it easier to get your pants down without removing your outer layers. I still think I prefer the clips on the Duluth ones though.

This thread and Black Fly's more recent on on belts motivated me to order my first set of suspenders. I had no idea which of the thousands available to buy, but I narrowed it down to a pair on Amazon that had some stretch, had clips that got good reviews, and wasn't too expensive.

You are going to like them so much you'll want a pair for your underwear too.;)

When I was posting the Amazon link, I realized that I had mistakenly ordered the Y suspenders of that brand instead of the X suspenders that I think I would prefer. It was too late to cancel the Y, so now I have both the Y and X arriving.

Any thoughts from anyone on which type is generally better for outdoor and canoeing activities, as opposed to when I'm at black tie events with Bezos, Musk, Gates and Christie Brinkley.

Back