• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

eggs

Reaction score
I've followed a number of threads on eggs on various canoe forums and while this has little to do with it, I thought interesting. I listened to a podcast on eggnog and did some searching, remembering my homemade with raw eggs eggnog, and found this:

* Yes, this recipe for Beer Nog uses raw eggs. Those concerned with salmonella should realize that 1 in every 20,000 eggs are contaminated according to the CDC, which means that if you consumed a raw egg every day, you’d encounter one contaminated egg every 55 years (and if your immune system is in good order, chances are you wouldn’t be bothered by it in the slightest). If you simply can’t get past your FDA-instilled fear, you can find in-shell pasteurized eggs in most grocery stores.

Podcast if interested - it's near an hour but fun.

eggnog made with beer? with avocados? and more.

I love eggs, but I do not like eggnog. Aye, there be eggnoggers in my family, but I's not one of them.
Someone this Christmas/New Year's mentioned there being a vegan recipe for the stuff. So it got me thinking about a nog reciped simple enough for a canoe trip. Think I found one. Just add booze of your choice,

Thanks for sharing, @billconner ! I'll be interest to give it a listen.

I started making my own eggnog more than 10 yrs back after I realized how many store-bought nogs have artificial flavoring, and it's now demanded by some family members each December. A dab of soap and hotwater on the shell before cracking drastically reduces the already minimal amount of salmonella risk involved.

Some tweaks that have proved popular are the inclusion of cardamom, or substituting a third of the vanilla for almond essence. Even better, sub the rum for amaretto.

As far as a tripping recipe - I think a lot of folks overestimate how quickly eggs and cream go bad, especially the pasturized stuff in the supermarket. I'm not sure oat milk keeps that much better once opened? We do have oat milk in the house and even in the fridge it seems to go off as fast as milk (which isn't that fast). A sealed container of heavy cream and uncracked eggs would probably be fine in the shade for a few tripping days if air temps aren't too high? Not sure I'm in the mood for nog at the height of summer anyways!

A weeks worth of eggs have been fine on our near north trips. Pasteurized milk and their substitutes are fairly stable, if treated with care.
But for the lactose intolerant, I'd recommend sourcing an alternative to the moo-cow stuff. Trust me.

I've followed a number of threads on eggs on various canoe forums and while this has little to do with it, I thought interesting. I listened to a podcast on eggnog and did some searching, remembering my homemade with raw eggs eggnog, and found this:

* Yes, this recipe for Beer Nog uses raw eggs. Those concerned with salmonella should realize that 1 in every 20,000 eggs are contaminated according to the CDC, which means that if you consumed a raw egg every day, you’d encounter one contaminated egg every 55 years (and if your immune system is in good order, chances are you wouldn’t be bothered by it in the slightest). If you simply can’t get past your FDA-instilled fear, you can find in-shell pasteurized eggs in most grocery stores.

Podcast if interested - it's near an hour but fun.

eggnog made with beer? with avocados? and more.

Thanks Bill, I will pass this link along to the eggnog lovers in our family. Two of whom I'm trip planning for '23.

I learned from horse packers how to pack raw eggs. Now I just buy raw eggs in a quart carton for the those big breakfasts on lay over days on a sandbar by some unknown river.

Back