• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Drive Up Access to Wabakimi PP

Reaction score
I started a thread like this on another board, but sibnce there are a lot of members here with Canadian paddling experience I am also posting here.
Maybe you folks know some spots of which I am unaware...

Here are a few options for drive up access to Wabakimi.
These entry points are on Crown Land with a short paddle to actually get within park boundaries.
But the point for this thread is that one can drive to the access point.
Please supplement this with your own info.
More paddlers' info will make this a more reliable list.

WEST SIDE - Smye Lake
I have entered at Smye Lake the last 2 years.
The entry point is one you can drive into on the 702 Rd.
Look for the rock cairn, next to the 4-wheel drive track on right hand side of road after Km43. Take the second 4 wheel track, not the first one you come to.
The entry point is at 50.378954, -90.370296.
There is a nice parking area about 500 meters from the put in.
Once in the park there are many routes available.

WEST SIDE- Sassenach Lake
Take 702 Rd to KM marker 59 (50.470337, -90.261266)
Turn right onto heavily overgrown track. Vehicle damage is possible so bring saw/axe.
1.7 km in on that road is the put in point: 50.470851, -90.236903
The 1.7 km road is 4WD only and is very rough.

Per ONT MNR:
Access Point 4 (Sassenach Lk): on 702 ROAD KM MARKER 59 (Turn exactly at Marker)
WPT 040 UTM:0694362 5594499
- Could potentially access with care 4WD truck or walk last 50m over boulder field.
- Launch is 1.7km from 702 road
- Launch WPT 041 UTM: 0696068 5594632

A guy named Ken explored a possible entry near 50.378954, -90.370296.
He drove up a logging road north of Smye Lake. On maps the road is sometimes called Wabakimi Rd. where it splits from the 702 rd.
Then he turned right off the Wabakimi Rd at 50.623090, -90.102325.
I guess you just park at the end of the road.
That entry would get you into a small lake just west of Tew.
Video of the trail is here: Ken's Tew Lake area entry video

There is also a possible entry near the south end of Heathcote Lake.
It looks like one could drive from salt sheds (50.222773, -90.697185) past the old airstrip on the 702 Rd. and then about 7.5 miles east to the small lake just east of Wellington Lake and just southwest of Heathcote and paddle in from there.
It appears that you can paddle about 2 miles across that lake and there is about 2 miles of stream and then you are in Heathcote.
At 50.183037, -90.504240 it looks like there may be a parking area and entry point.

SOUTH SIDE
Another entry point I have heard about is to come up from the south via BrightSands PP.
Turn north at Km 388.0 on ON 17 right at Firesteel River, the Graham Rd.
Take the Grahman road all the way to Harmon Lake.
There is an entry point at Harmon Lake boat launch at 49.973826, -90.116937.
This route gets you into the Allenwater River.
I know there is a parking area for this entry. More detail below.

SOUTHEAST SIDE
I know that Wabakimi Project folks have opened another entry on the southeast.
I am not sure where you park the car for that one, but it seems to be very close Rte 527.
Wab Proj folks, please fill in here.
EDIT: The intersection of 527 and the dead southward road on east side of 527 is at
50.135133, -89.118882. The access point is on Vale Creek and Nameiben a little south of the identified intersection. The takeout is at an old bridge site over Nameiben River just east of 527 (old bridge no longer there, but the grade and rock cribs are obvious).
Deerfoot comments: We were there in June and marked the river crossing as: 50.13155, 89-124355. The access road off the southwestward bend in 527 is very distinct on Google Earth heading due south at a bend in 527.

Thanks.

Some of these spots may require FN permission or a shuttle, especially the southeast entry point(s).

Last edited:
If a couple of extra days canoeing doesn't bother you, you could come in the east by driving up the Ogoki road to the Ogoki Bridge. Then paddle upstream on the Ogoki river to the Reservoir, paddle the Reservoir and eventually get to Whiteclay Lake. One of these days I'm intending to take that route to get to Cliff Lake.

Highndry posted about the entry north of Smye:
The second entry north of Smey that Ken referenced is at 50.483276, -90.249081 according to the Canadian Topo map at mappingsupport. Ken and I discussed this entry and his intel was that you can turn right onto that bumpy, obscured logging road for about a 1/4 mile or so and then park. However, there is thick undegrowth and matchstick blowdowns which would make an entry onto Valley Lake fairly difficult to obtain without an axe, saw and perhaps a chainsaw.

If a couple of extra days canoeing doesn't bother you, you could come in the east by driving up the Ogoki road to the Ogoki Bridge. Then paddle upstream on the Ogoki river to the Reservoir, paddle the Reservoir and eventually get to Whiteclay Lake. One of these days I'm intending to take that route to get to Cliff Lake.

I have been looking at that on Google Maps for a couple years. Is that FN land up there? Do you need to get permission from the local FN officials? Mattice Lake has an outpost there, too. I suppose they could answer questions about the area.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for this info. I was looking last year for west side access and was told to buy Phil cottons maps. I didn't. Park super is very helpful and forthcoming with info as well not asking for a deposit before he doled out valuable access point info

The maps are well worth it. I spent many weeks with Phil Cotton and crew mapping and clearing the portages.. the MNR maps are fifty years old re the portages.

Wab Proj maps are the most comprehensive maps for canoe routes in the Wabakimi region. They have detailed info on campsites and portages. NOTE: There are more campsites than shown on WP maps because the WP maps show only campsites big enough to accommodate two tents. One could use only the WP maps and be fine canoeing in and around the park. I like to have topos along just because I like topo maps.
Red, what did Mr. Lawr tell you about western entry points?

I am heartened to hear of a new Super.. Part of the impetus for the WP is back twelve years ago that cooperation was not forthcoming.

There is a public road that goes through Aroland First Nation on the way up there, but no permission needed. Travel upstream to the dam is usually straight forward, although checking with hydro might be appropriate for the odd chance of them opening it.

2 more questions about Ogoki River/Dam access:
1. Where would one park a vehicle?
2. Is there a portage around the dam?

Here is a picture of the Ogoki River from the bridge, there is parking there. Not sure about the portage around the dam, maybe I'll let you know next year!
Upstream, there is some sort of activity going on, fire fighter post?
3gdQc-yp4S4oaN16g5udwxPhnNbU8nuY2aZLryBBD6k6VWyqy05X1kQcmpvQ_yl_Y477WXgjCkbMMFE87d1b8YFLkh22KbMlqug5Gj7DBwD25qiIwe1K3yRb8CBACkRCB719AX109YVpsQA3E3rnoJj1xSsebueOUhgZbNe8p4WtYiRS9p7c-YpCftQoVzFKflMY4P6k2DPVpSc0FSP1TitNKhD9KN21-2eC0o1ejcHJVkUS4T_1xrb0J9mYEAO7ZoOiLUFnEwNVtmR2MCWCp_z4NEjLomztOGP3oASq7np9XtD--B4qZ-GWYxSVs_IvziftwNJqyD4WNZAa3e8eNnVLCk79KoqAqBr08saItQ8Ks4jnT-4cBxmRVkUeXQkBUa1Qq6iu9MNcnW2WTybEgmnlXE--O4R_gn5JQS7GJWdFisXLd2hejEJjx1vDYvTK5occIMQDOxEJPOFx61-7-_CA9vjDBt057ER6__wszu167z9hs2KTe1jlmabEKhTOSvIlbjJes-7oZzykoJiTW9tC3B0nNi2VA985MyS-CYZS7p8k6_GxtNxbjDozhL3SjMAGc9V4eYSOLBwfKbVVdsI61L6ZisSYPQfbgK6pIIzBpB1Y=w640-h480-no

Downstream from the bridge
ljq7rpFmQpFBj0UcD6qOaIueR4-1Kjkll_tMPToazbT2c-dUO2huuKZPMACTSVogjT1mQFMU-3Sp_S4aTVj5hIEzzOV-4r9CDnMhj0SehJAfmFqZwHjUCRkfrcs285qJ88fPnVve_3WiXKJBFYRoCXGZwKWJg9xrPoyeaIkELXfFFY7hQUkHs2UF6bT8gOjbjA-S1Flm795cCGc8gxj00qn-3gzkjT3jzA-ev4YC4SQ8i6xyK7nV69kUCcU5pzeHdm_-1X2koZ8q8ygmiTF3fccqCLkfApzj2mz06K5nE6gM3TTtgljPbeFltmAhZq1Xr5_nhUieWXs4qCNJL-PWwasqe9o6f8VhwR-BHU0Qya991sIIc5skqL8VnBq4f2-1Ij07nTOZkXYSg2z7fMsQkzy92Db6ubmFR-eZQeNzFNV2RHAITVkldvsIMZ9cIbzE0mm0c9cRWkbOwX-bWA6uN0osg_34cg7D358-a3KOkmeQD8sPqf1yPbswuTycdQUT12HvNQOGoiZkjybRKzLqfX0ZJscQTQICwIK25L_AH1Hn2Ky7tHXX3atlt-54hz31gMW5EBS22mYSY0KdIOuriKGHu84o12h7vTqWcJ66MyG3boM3=w640-h480-no

Last edited:
There is a portage around the dam, and three portages at the end of the reservoir to get you into the Whiteclay system. Only fly in the ointment is the size of the reservoir, paddle early and paddle hard, could be pretty windy!

Hmmm...aprox. 40 mi from the bridge to Whiteclay. But only a couple portages. Could be done in 2-3 days...Is the dam portage river right or left?

Look for the blazes ( axe) on the trees. If you are going upstream you have time to ferret around.. Actually going downstream from Whitewater to Whiteclay on the Ogoki was pretty seamless. Portages were easy to find.

Red, what did Mr. Lawr tell you about western entry points?
He gave me a couple of options of which I cannot remember right now as the trip got scrubbed. He said there was absolutely no outfitters working that side of the park.

I called Wabakimi Outfitters? (Bruce Hyer's outfit). They were not helpful at all unless I was booking a trip. Don't blame them really however I'm less likely to book a trip through them now than I was before. Do not under any circumstance buy their map, it is useless. Doesn't even cover the whole park and is littered with "photos" covering keys parts of the park. It was akin to a free tourist overview map of Niagara Falls. One that showed you where you were but was useless for navigations purposes.

I too participated in the Wabakimi Project. Was told participation meant a copy of the map once completed, so you may see why paying a few hundred dollars for a map I eventually bought from WPP for $20 was not appealing to me.

Back