• Happy Launch of Lewis & Clark Expedition (1804)! 🧭🏞🏞️

Dog Food Container

Same thing I use for my own food: Freezer weight zip-lock baggies stored in a barrel(s).

Alan

I've used a bear vault. But it a( a Counter Assault) was not waterproof and needed a bag inside it. For more than a few days you need to follow Alan's advice.

I think a large bear vault gets one pup 13 days. I’m not looking forward to taking both healers. It may not be possible except car camping. I haven’t used anything inside the bear vault. I don’t hope it would be waterproof, but I put it in a Duluth pack liner.

For years I have been using the plastic cylindrical containers protein powder drinks, etc. come in. Waterproof, don't crush and hold several days of kibble for the "Thornado"

Attachments

• photo11320.jpg
    photo11320.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 0
For years I have been using the plastic cylindrical containers protein powder drinks, etc. come in. Waterproof, don't crush and hold several days of kibble for the "Thornado"

Thanks Dan. And eveyone. I lost my best source for airtight containers when GPS came along and wiped out the demand for aerial camera film. I still have a couple somewhere, but they're not the big uns.

Last edited:
When we took our dog down the Allagash, we just carried a bag of dog food, no fancy containers. I mean, what dog is going to complain if its food is a little damp?

Only ever did short trips with mine, and put the food in zip locks/per meal. I've seen folks use a dry bag and scoop, with a silcone collapsibel bowl. (Bottom of a milk jug is pretty light too, for a bowl.)

Back