• Happy Birthday, Gary Cooper (1901-61)! 📽️☝🏻🕛

Dog Floor

Reaction score
I have an Old Town Pack. Wanting to make it so Canon Dog doesn't slip around. Rather it be permanent. Very little weight. Was thinking of some type of bed liner roll on paint. But now I am hearing bilge water is something dogs dont like also. Any thoughts, links or pics would be awesome. Thanks

I've used foam mats for years with my dogs. Sometimes when the floor is wet the whole mat can slip when the dog jumps in/out. You could either add something to the floor to make it grippy or add some small bungee tie downs to the floor or just not worry about it. The bilge water stays under the mat.

No need to make them permanent. It's good to pull them out when done so both the mat and the canoe can dry out.

https://www.amazon.com/BalanceFrom-...qid=1492625764&sr=1-4&keywords=gray+play+mats

Alan

Looking closer I see the mats I linked to are 1/2" thick. I've used 1/2" mats and while they work I think they're thicker than necessary. I've got some now that are probably 3/8" that work well.

Alan

Trim them so they are wedged against the underside of the gunwales. That way they won't slip
They are mini cell and the half inch has added insulation from cold water

Trim them so they are wedged against the underside of the gunwales. That way they won't slip

That's a good idea. None of my pads are wide enough to reach the gunwales but if they were that would work well.

Alan

Great Ideas, thanks Someone also suggested SUP pads. I really need them not to move. I will be doing a lot of portaging. Plus carrying back pack with camera gear. Good thing the Canoe only weighs 33lbs. I'll probably try your suggestion first.... cheaper and if they stay in while portaging and I can remove them would be a big plus.

I use two of the foam Walmart sleeping pads and roll them up tight and shove them under the seat for ports. They're great around camp at night. If you use a thinner one like Alan suggests, it probably rolls tight enough to jam in the flap of your pack.

Barry

=TimmyP;n63772I really need them not to move. I will be doing a lot of portaging.

I did a 30 day trip with well over 100 portages and I think the pads fell out twice with me making very little effort to keep them in place. They were in the bow of my solo and would either stay in place due to friction against the sides of the hull or would hang up on the gunwales or paddles that I'd rigged up to carry in the canoe while portaging.

But it was kind of annoying having them flopping around and almost falling out so for the next trip I wanted them held solidly in place. I epoxied and fiberglassed in place some nylon webbing to use as tie downs for gear and the dog pads. For them to work with the dog pads I'd attach a short loop of small bungee to the tie downs that would be covered by the pads. The pads had small holes drilled in them to match the location of the tie downs underneath. Slip that small loop of bungee up through the hole and put a small twig through the loop to hold it in place. Kept the pads solidly in place but they could be removed in just a few seconds. The dog also appreciates them not slipping when she jumps in/out. The number of tie downs shown in this pick is way overkill for just dog pads.

20160717_010 by Alan, on Flickr

Jamming then under the seat or thwart would likely work too.

Alan

Back