• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Debsconeag Lakes Wilderness Area Loop, Part 2

Reaction score
Part 2 of my journey started with a windy departure from the Third Debsconeag high bluff campsite across the lake in 15-20 mph wind conditions. Had to make a decision to leave since the weather report provided by my Garmin Inreach Explorer indicated stronger winds for this particular day and the next. I didn't want to be windbound for two days so I found an opportunity to put-in and paddle and I took it. This episode will show traversing Third Debsconeag Lake, Portaging into Second Debsconeag, Portaging into First Debsconeag, paddling the Debsconeag Deadwater, portaging Passamagamet Falls and returning to the starting point at Grant Brook Road Bridge just outside of Millinocket and not too far upriver from the Ambejejus Boom House which marks the endpoint of this particular loop trip. If interested in watching Part 2 please follow the link:

https://youtu.be/2w20DYD950A

Thanks for watching and following along. Had a great time with this trip and failed on the conservative of protecting my canoe a touch more than I did on my allagash solo trip. I didn't want to take any chances this time through.

I already left comments on YouTube, Dave, but this is your best video yet! Felt like I was right there (but I'm glad you were doing the portages for me)!

Thrilled to hear that Al! I try different things and try to learn as I go. Truly appreciate your kind words and honest opinion. Did you plan a Fall trip in Maine yet?

Thrilled to hear that Al! I try different things and try to learn as I go. Truly appreciate your kind words and honest opinion. Did you plan a Fall trip in Maine yet?

I would like to make another dash up there if the weather, foliage and work schedule permit!

Great videos. Next best thing to being there.

I wish there were more places like Second Debsconeag, not all that far away but not too easy to reach. There was one time I almost camped at that high bluff site on 3rd Deb, but there was a motorboat making a lot of noise, so I continued to 2nd and was glad I did.

I'm still not sure of how to pronounce these lakes. I say Debsconeag so it rhymes with Fry-an-egg. I used to say it more like there was a SCONE in the middle of it (preferably with blueberries), but some ranger told me that was wrong.

Thanks Goonstroke! I always try my best to pronounce the lakes I paddle the best we can, but to be honest I am not sure I ever get it right. I was corrected one time at a checkpoint by the gatekeeper on a particular name of a lake (wish I could remember which one), but there was an immediate correction when I said it wrong. I just tucked my tail. There are of course some lakes and ponds that you can never get wrong like the 250 Round Ponds we have in Maine....lol!

I agree that it would be nice to have more remote lakes which do not have vehicle access. No vehicle access at Second Deb-Scon-Egg or Deb-Scone-Eeeeeeg is what makes it special.

Thanks for watching and the kind words! Enjoyed your recent trip report on a similar route in the region. Haven’t portaged into Fourth yet. With no campsites there I haven’t felt the need........yet!

Edit purpose: I just remembered what I was corrected on at the gate. Gero Island!!!! The island on Chesuncook Lake is pronounced “Jerro”. Jerry without the Y and slap an O in there.

Last edited:
Back