• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Debsconeag Lake, Maine

We have done the Debsconeag loop a few times putting in at Ambajejus Lake at the dam, traveling west up Pemadumcook, carrying into 3rd Debs, 2nd and 1st, and then running down the West Branch back into Ambajejus Lake to finish up. We even did that trip in reverse once going up the Penobscot, but I don't recommend that :(. All these trips were done in W&C.

We were wind and storm bound once on White Horse Island in Pemadumcook near the outlet of Lower Jo Mary Lake. You can easily carry from Lower Jo Mary into Pemadumcook (you might need to clear some brush). There is a shoot there too that might be run-able, but the water was a bit too high the day we were there for comfort.

That sounds fantastic! Which portage is the longest?

The carry from White House Landing on Pemadumcook into 3rd Debs is the longest (about 1 mile) but it is along a nice dirt road the whole way. 2nd Deb into 1st Debs is about 0.75 miles, but is more of a chore. Someone filled low spots with ankle wrecking rip rap if I recall correctly.

I was in the neighbourhood a few years ago. I confirm Fitz's report and would add that I recall the portage from 3rd to 4th was particularly unpleasant... but as I'm not one who enjoys portaging, you may choose to discount my account. Additionally, I did discover that the single most fragrant outhouse in Maine can be found just off First Musquash Pond.
-carp

Back