• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Day Trips on Superior Shoreline

Reaction score
Still planning a vacation with wife. We're driving up 17 from SSM to Wawa. If you know of a day trip, hiking, or camping idea in that area, please let me know. We passed that way a couple years ago and vowed to come back, so maybe we make good on that this trip. After all, it's about the journey.:)

These might be helpful.

https://www.voyageurtrail.ca/trail-maps/

http://nlmotel.com/hiking/

https://www.alltrails.com/parks/cana...rovincial-park

https://www.ontarioparks.com/park/lakesuperior/maps

https://hikebiketravel.com/a-challen...coastal-trail/

https://thenorthjunction.wordpress.com/category/lake-superior-provincial-park/

Many are shortish interpretive trails, however although the Towab/Agawa Falls hike can be done in a day, it's ideal an overnighter using the river campsites.
The Lake Superior Coastal Trail can be accessed from various locations just off the highway 17 for excellent day hikes, overnighters or multi day hikes.

Last edited:
Agawa Rock.. Nokomis Trail ( great overlooks)
Gargantua Bay has a nice trail that goes to some campsites and you can if you feel like it follow out of Gargantua up to Warp Bay. It will be about 10 km round trip. Orphan Lake is another popular trail in Lake Superior Provincial Park
Sand River Trail offers waterfalls.

When I lived in the area, the Nikomos Trail was my favorite, with the Orphan Lake Trail my second favorite. If you’re there at the right time, you can see armies of pink lady slippers. Yellowcanoe is correct about all those trails. If you go, stop at the Canadian Carver. It looks like a tourist trap, and maybe is, but it’s like a 1950’s tourist trap. They have free coffee and tea, and they sell these wonderful little butter tarts... mmm. One store is a camper store, with last chance supplies, another has carvings that range from not-too-good to incredible, and a third store has soft goods, including blankets, sweatshirts/T-shirt’s, jewelry, moccasins, maps... . They have restrooms. :) If you go up to Wawa, hit the general store, I think it was called Thompson’s. Again, it’s a pleasant blast from the past.

There are some beautiful inland lakes, too. My favorite was near the north end—can’t think of the name right now, but it was probably the last signed turnoff to the EAST as you drive 17. Fenton-Treeby... . It starts with a 100 yard portage to the lake, paddle the length (it parallels the highway), then there’s another portage to a bitty lake, and another portage to the most splendid place on earth. Well, maybe it isn’t quite that good. It depends on your mood. It is at the end of the Great Lakes Forest, and the start of the Boreal Forest (according to the park literature), and, well, see for yourself. There are many campsites. There are not many people (in my experience). Further south is a turn off to Gamatagama Lake (my spelling may be way off, sorry). That’s maybe 3 miles long. It was beautiful and I enjoyed it, but I preferred Fenton-Treeby. Another lake that you might enjoy is Midjenemungshing (Lake Midj). It’s a few miles off 17, and is a large lake with lots of camp spots and portages to other lakes. I still prefer that two portage Fenton-Treeby Lake, but again, it may be mood. I used to love sitting on a rock at the point of Catherine Cove, and watching the lake throw a hissy fit, and fall was when I‘d take a blanket and sit on the cobbles at Old Woman Bay and eat sandwiches, drink coffee, and read a book. If the lake was calm, you’d hear the little waves come in, and then the water would get sucked out through the cobbles. If you’re in the park overnight, try to get to Old Woman Bay for a sunset.

Thanks for the nice vacation. Happy memories.

Are you doing the loop around Superior or just hitting Wawa for a couple of days?

Plan is to do a few days along the coast, depending on the opportunities for meaningful and unmolested cricket listening. I've been looking at going as far as Marathon, but right now Wawa and 3 days are the intended limits. But who knows. I haven't made reservations for the other legs of our journey yet.

The Orphan L trail takes you past a hanging lake and then down onto a granite cobble beach of Superior, from which you can boulder hop up the Baldhead R to complete the loop. A very nice trail. The Nokomis was one of my favourites, passing along the river before climbing up to a lookout, from which one can admire Old Woman Bay down below. OWB is a day-use only site but well worth the visit. The crescent sand and pebble beach is protected by an enormous cliff to the south and rocky headland to the north. It becomes a veritable suntrap on nice days, but beware, the water is swimmable only on some days, and not usually on days that end in y. During low water in the autumn the Nokomis backs up behind a barrier beach before spilling over into Superior like a shallow trickling stream. On one trip we came across a small deep pool where a meandering rivulet had gently scoured out a bathtub sized plunge pool before escaping to Superior. The sun had warmed the water up enough to make a dip refreshing after our afternoon hike, and although the water was crystal clear the dancing shadows made the depths deceiving. Superior's currents play keepaway with any warmer water temps. One evening our family swam at Agawa Bay and the next it was painful to just dip our tired feet. Katherine Cove is another must see day-use site. There the shallow sandy bottom extends out from the crescent beach far enough to make wading/swimming wonderful after a day's exploring.

Plan is to do a few days along the coast, depending on the opportunities for meaningful and unmolested cricket listening. I've been looking at going as far as Marathon, but right now Wawa and 3 days are the intended limits. But who knows. I haven't made reservations for the other legs of our journey yet.

The stretch between Wawa ( and don't miss the waterfalls on the Michipicoten River!. Easy to no hiking) and Marathon is rather flat and away from the lake.. It goes through burn areas. White River is famous sort of for Winnie the Pooh and minus 72 degrees.. Otherwise its a truck stop with insanely expensive fuel ( it is rather far from a terminal)
I recommend a stay at Rock Island Lodge / Naturally Superior Adventures.. You can either stay in a room in the lodge ( it does offer dinner, and there are not many rooms) .Spectacular views . Or you can camp on their beach or stay in their teepee. Its just outside Wawa

I've been looking at that lodge and the beach camping, doing the river. May have to take take the wife's kayak cause she ain't runnin' no river in my kevlar Prism.

Thanks all. I've got plenty to map out and chew on.

I've been looking at that lodge and the beach camping, doing the river. May have to take take the wife's kayak cause she ain't runnin' no river in my kevlar Prism.

Thanks all. I've got plenty to map out and chew on.

NSA/RIL
is for paddlers run and staffed by paddlers

The Michipicoten River is flatwater in that area.. No reason not to use the Prism. But beware steep standing waves at the mouth of the river where it meets Lake Superior. You do not have to go through them.. the beach is actually on the river.

We have travelled the entire area in Kevlar.

The Michipicoten River is flatwater in that area.. No reason not to use the Prism. But beware steep standing waves at the mouth of the river where it meets Lake Superior. You do not have to go through them.. the beach is actually on the river.

We have travelled the entire area in Kevlar.

Great, good to know.

Back