• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

looking for some Florida day tripping assistance ...

Reaction score
My wife and I are planning to go to Crystal River Florida some time end of March - to Early April. She wants to give day paddling a try other than our usual haunts on the Wisconsin River. So thinking about looking for manetees, beach paddle picnic, some hiking etc. This is a big step for her and I want to make sure she enjoys it ... she is not ready to give tripping a try but day paddling new areas and staying at a hotel or B&B for now is great. I am thrilled she wants to give this a try.

If any of you here are familiar with this part of Florida, please advise quiet places to explore with easy padding.

Bob.

homosassa springs area or crystal river out of planatation inn or put in farther out on fort island trail (nearly on the gulf of mexico) There is also Chassahowitzka to the south. All these will have springs that are manatee and people attractions starting in fresh water to estuary to open gulf.

Rainbow river a bit further inland in dunellon, but is nice too. Its a part of the withlacoochee that ultimately flows into the gulf at Inglis. Depending on where you put in there is a lock to deal with at the bypass recreation area, its where the river is cut at the Fl barge canal. Easier to put in on the river north of the barge canal. I can give you more details about all that if you think you want to explore it.

For any of these as you get closer to the gulf the tidal influences get stronger so you want to be aware of that. Some pretty tough currents to buck if you're not up to it or prepared.

Bob, there's lots of canoeing all over that area of Florida. Deerfly has mentioned some good ones. You can paddle upstream and downstream on the many first magnitude springs, where the water is a constant 72° F all year long. Many of the west coast rivers and interior rivers around Ocala have a nice "jungley" quality.

There several Florida guidebooks. I used an older edition of THIS ONE for many years and found it quite useful.

Florida-Paddling-Book.jpg

Wow, you guys are great!! Thank you for the info ... we both appreciate all suggestions and will continue to research ... especially with this next blizzard moving in tomorrow night!

Bob.

Johnny Molloy has a book
Canoeing and Kayaking Florida that we bring each trip
We have an older edition but the newest one is recent
Far more useful IMO than Paddling the Sunshine State.
( I have both)

I haven't been to that part of the state. I did drive down to the Space Coast with a canoe on an old car. I stayed in a cheap motel and paddled or sailed a different spot every day, it was great. Enjoy your trip, don't exceed your wife's comfort level. If it were my wife, I would make sure there was a glass of wine every day. :)

Only did it once but Juniper Springs near Ocala is a run I will always remember. Jungly as GM said. Used to be a shuttle/rental service there but don’t know about now???

Back