• Happy National Scotch [Whisky] Day! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🥃🚱

Dave Curtis Announces Desire to Retire and Sell Hemlock Canoe Business

I wonder what the buy out or buy in $$$ would be? Operation costs? I told Dave congratulations on his retirement last Saturday and he said "Not yet". Can't believe there are no takers. I am burned out at the moment and have been daydreaming but there are no boat building skills in these hands.

I wonder what the buy out or buy in $$$ would be? Operation costs? I told Dave congratulations on his retirement last Saturday and he said "Not yet". Can't believe there are no takers. I am burned out at the moment and have been daydreaming but there are no boat building skills in these hands.
I have exactly zero insider knowledge about this, but I heard through the grapevine that there may be a couple working with Dave that has the long-term goal of taking over? Maybe I shouldn't say anything, but at least the rumor I heard sounded promising...

That is good to hear. I would like to see it around to have another choice when making a purchase.

I have exactly zero insider knowledge about this, but I heard through the grapevine that there may be a couple working with Dave that has the long-term goal of taking over? Maybe I shouldn't say anything, but at least the rumor I heard sounded promising...
Indeed, there was a lovely young couple with the Hemlock folks at WPASCR who told me that they intend to be Dave and Carol's successors; they said jokingly that Dave "will never retire" (which I assume to mean they can't imagine him being willing to fully step away as long as he's able to involve himself), but that the long-term plan is for the business to become theirs. One of the other folks involved in Hemlock also indicated to me that they are the chosen successors. I am terrible at recalling names, and theirs unfortunately have already slipped my mind, but perhaps someone else who was at WPASCR can fill in those details.

Can't believe there are no takers.
Not sure how much it's my place to share, but there was at least one other very serious potential buyer who got quite far with negotiations but ultimately did not work out.

That is good to hear. I would like to see it around to have another choice when making a purchase.
I too am very happy to hear that there is someone to carry on the business! Hemlock's canoes were my favorites among those I was able to try at WPASCR, and it is nice to be able to hope that they might still be available if/when I someday have new-canoe money.

Indeed, there was a lovely young couple with the Hemlock folks at WPASCR who told me that they intend to be Dave and Carol's successors; they said jokingly that Dave "will never retire" (which I assume to mean they can't imagine him being willing to fully step away as long as he's able to involve himself), but that the long-term plan is for the business to become theirs. One of the other folks involved in Hemlock also indicated to me that they are the chosen successors. I am terrible at recalling names, and theirs unfortunately have already slipped my mind, but perhaps someone else who was at WPASCR can fill in those details.

Not sure how much it's my place to share, but there was at least one other very serious potential buyer who got quite far with negotiations but ultimately did not work out.

I too am very happy to hear that there is someone to carry on the business! Hemlock's canoes were my favorites among those I was able to try at WPASCR, and it is nice to be able to hope that they might still be available if/when I someday have new-canoe money.
Matt & Sam Casavaugh

Back